Ochsner created SmartMeals to encourage a healthier diet as part of its overall mission to promote healthy living by Ochsner employees. Exceeding the Dietary Guidelines established by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture, SmartMeals not only promote good nutritional habits by providing smarter food choices, but they also increase awareness of nutritional content in the foods served.
Each day, Ochsner cafeterias feature a SmartMeal, which is defined by:
- Less than 450 calories
- Less than 6 grams of saturated fats
- 0 grams of trans fat
- Less than 800 mg of sodium
- At least 20 grams of protein
- At least 6 grams of fiber
Sample meals include crawfish etoufee, shrimp creole, lasagna and turkey divan.
SmartMeals are also easy on employees' wallets. Compared to spending an average of $8 going out to lunch, SmartMeals are less than half the price.
Additionally, Ochsner has implemented other steps to make food and drink healthier, including sugar-free beverages in the soda fountain, sugar-free frozen yogurt and wheat buns at the grill.
SmartMeals can be purchased in the cafeterias at:
- Ochsner Medical Center on Jefferson Highway
- Ochsner Hospital - Elmwood
- Ochsner Baptist Medical Center
- Ochsner St. Anne General Hospital
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge
SmartMeals are gaining local attention. Click here to read an article from Tulane University's Prevention Research Center on the impact SmartMeals are making at Ochsner.