The 2014 STAR Summer Program application is now available. Click here to download.
The 2014 STAR Program will run Monday, June 23 through Tuesday, July 22, 8:00am – 4:00pm. The Culmination Ceremony (attendance is required) will be Wednesday, July 23.
The applications process has 3 steps:
(1) Submit complete Application
(2) Top 25% will be advanced to an interview with the STAR Administration
(3) Selected students will be required to attend Acceptance Day with a parent and commit to their position as a 2014 STAR Scholar.
There will be 6 interview dates, each with 5 interview appointments available for scheduling. 3 Days will have interviews between 1 and 3:30 pm and 3 days will have interviews between 3 and 5:30pm.
2 Alternates will be selected and notified if they have moved into a Scholar Position after round 3 of the application process is completed.
The 2014 STAR Program will include, for the first time, the STAR Leadership Extension Project. The STAR Leadership Extension project will require all STAR Scholars to participate in or create a new project or program in their community or school during the school year following their STAR Program. Students will be required to address a need that they see in their school or community. Students can either take a leadership role in an existing project to move that project forward, OR they can create a whole new project or program that meets a need that they see needs attention. The Ochsner STAR Administration will act as mentors, connectors and guides to help students to be successful in this endeavor. This will be a requirement of the STAR Program and the 2014 STAR Application Essay gives the students an opportunity to explain their idea.
Important 2014 Dates
Wednesday, March 19 STAR Applications Due by 4:00pm
April 15-April 24
Interviews for students selected to the 2nd round of the application process
Thursday, May 8
Acceptance Day for students accepted to the 2014 STAR Program
Wednesday, May 28
STAR 2014 Meet & Greet for Students and Parents accepted to the program
Monday June 23 - Tuesday, July 22
2014 STAR Program
Wednesday, July 23
2014 STAR Program Culmination
Important Application Information
- STAR Applications will only be accepted by in-person drop off, or through the mail. Click here for a Map to the Community Outreach Office drop–off location; Community Outreach Office at the Tansey Building, 1319 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121
- STAR Applications will only be reviewed is they are COMPLETE and submitted in 1 large envelope; incomplete applications will not be reviewed; Application components WILL NOT be accepted individually
- STAR Applications must be received by March 19, 4:00pm. NOT postmarked by March 19, 4:00pm. If you are planning to mail your application, it is best to do so via certified mail. If you cannot send the application via certified mail, you should makes sure to send it more than 2 weeks before the due date and call the STAR Administration Office to check on its receipt.
- You should speak to your recommenders well in advance of turning in your application and make sure that they submit 2 Recommendation Forms and 1 letter in the envelope they give to the student to include in the application submission.