Chemotherapy (“chemo”) is a treatment for cancer that uses drugs to kill cancer cells. It is a systemic treatment, where the drugs travel throughout the whole body to reach cancer cells that may have spread to other areas of the body.
Chemotherapy is used to treat many different types of cancer. The type, location, stage of the cancer, and your general health will largely determine if chemotherapy is appropriate. It is used to cure, control and relieve symptoms caused by the cancer.
Ochsner offers a free Chemo Class for patients who will be receiving chemotherapy as part of their treatment plan. The class includes a small group of patients and covers topics such as:
- what to expect, what to bring, and what is provided during infusion
- information on the most common side effects you may experience
- how to recognize problems during treatment
- infection and food safety precautions
- other Ochsner resources available to you
As a patient, you have the option of attending an instructor-led class in the clinic or viewing a video online.
Call 504-842-4205 to reserve a seat in the next scheduled class.
Online video Class
Ochsner has collaborated with the American Cancer Society to provide a comprehensive and interactive video about chemotherapy.