Welcome to the Ochsner Institute of Health Policy Website.
There are five main sections of the website:
- Policies For A Healthy America, where we share what individuals and society can do to improve health
- Health Outcomes That Matter, where we expect the best care possible and show how you can see how it is measured
- Medical Education & Research, highlighting the new fourth medical school in Louisiana as well as the many research and other education activities
- Ochsner Working With Others, where we review the many organizations we partner with to bring about a healthier community, and
- Patient Tips and Advice, where we have a series of one-pagers you can print out to work on improvements to your health and discuss with your doctor
We hope the Ochsner Institute for Health Policy website can assist you in being as healthy as possible, and can give you ideas on how to press for effective health care reforms in society.
The ultimate measure of hospital quality is patient survival. We believe you should know how hospitals compare before you choose a hospital. Standardized data on patient survival is available for Louisiana hospitals using the Risk Adjusted Mortality Index (RAMI). The US national average for Risk Adjusted Mortality Index is set at 1.0. An index lower than 1.0 means the hospital is doing a better job saving lives than the national average for similar hospitals and patients; an index higher than 1.0 means more patients are dying than are expected, according to the data and statistics. So think of this like golf – the lowest scores are the best.
Ochsner compared 2012 mortality data for the 7 Ochsner hospitals and hospitals in the New Orleans, Baton Rouge, North Shore, Bayou, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Shreveport and Monroe areas.
So what does this really mean for you?
All 7 Ochsner hospitals had better survival scores than most hospitals in the Louisiana comparison group. That’s not a coincidence. That’s the power of the Ochsner network.
As the region's largest health system, Ochsner has access to the most sophisticated expertise, resources, technology, and services – and we share that information with all hospitals in our system, relentlessly working to improve the quality of care at Ochsner hospitals in every community.
That’s powerful medicine. We call it healthcare with peace of mind.