Healthgrades, the nation's most trusted source of health care provider information, has named Ochsner Medical Center and its West Bank Campus Distinguished Hospitals for Clinical Excellence™ for the fifth year in a row. This prestigious distinction places Ochsner among the top five percent of U.S. hospitals for clinical outcomes – and the only hospitals in Louisiana to receive the award.
Only 262 hospitals, out of more than 4,500 evaluated, have earned Healthgrades’ prestigious Distinguished Hospitals Award for Clinical Excellence™. This recognition is determined by the recipients’ best-in-class performance on risk-adjusted mortality and in-hospital complications across 27 of the most common diagnoses and procedures.
Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank were also named in the top five percent nationwide for Neurosciences, Neurosurgery, Overall Pulmonary Services, GI Medical Treatment, Critical Care and Women’s Health and in the top 10% in Joint Replacement and Overall GI Services. Ochsner Baptist was ranked among the top 10% for Coronary Interventional Procedures.
A 5-star rating indicates that Ochsner’s clinical outcomes are better than expected when treating the condition or conducting the procedure being evaluated.
Overall, Ochsner achieved 29 Five-Star Ratings and nine Specialty Excellence Awards, and ranked top five percent in the nation in seven specialties and top 10% in two specialties.
“This recognition affirms our commitment to providing the highest level of medical care across the Gulf Coast,” said Warner Thomas, President and CEO of Ochsner Health System. “Because of the dedication of our talented physicians, nurses and medical staff, Ochsner continues to be the healthcare leader our community needs.”
“We believe our evaluations stand out because, unlike other hospital quality reports, they are based solely on clinical outcomes data – not on reputation or opinion surveys – which can lack objectivity,” said Evan Marks, EVP Informatics and Strategy, Healthgrades. “By choosing among the Distinguished Hospitals, patients can take comfort knowing that they have access to among the highest quality medical care in the nation.”
Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist, Ochsner St. Anne, Ochsner Baton Rouge and Ochsner Kenner received Five Star ratings for providing excellent care in the following areas:
- Coronary Interventional Procedures: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist and Ochsner Baton Rouge
- Total Knee Replacement: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Hip Fracture Treatment: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Back Surgery: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Neurosurgery: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Treatment of Stroke: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist, Ochsner St. Anne
- Treatment of Pneumonia: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baton Rouge
- Small Intestine Surgeries: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Treatment of GI Bleed: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist and Ochsner Baton Rouge
- Treatment of Bowel Obstruction: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Treatment of Sepsis: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist, Ochsner Kenner and Ochsner Baton Rouge
- Treatment of Respiratory Failure: Ochsner Medical Center, Ochsner West Bank, Ochsner Baptist and Ochsner Kenner
- Women's Health: Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner West Bank
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair: Ochsner Medical Center
- Carotid Surgery: Ochsner Medical Center
- Treatment of Heart Attack: Ochsner Baton Rouge
- Treatment of Heart Failure: Ochsner Baton Rouge and Ochsner Kenner
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare-patient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 31 common conditions and procedures. Healthgrades awards hospitals quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5 star (statistically better than expected), 3 star (statistically as expected) and 1 star (statistically worse than expected) categories. Detailed performance information, such as cohort-specific outcomes data and quality achievements for individual hospitals may be found at www.healthgrades.com/find-a-hospital.
More information on the American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2014: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.