Hurricane Preparedness: Do You Have a Family Plan?
The 2011 Hurricane Season is upon us. Although it's early in the season and development is not likely at this time, it's never too early to start preparations. One major aspect to consider is making a family plan to evacuate your household in case of an emergency. Here are some tips from the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness website, getagameplan.org to help you better prepare.
Step 1: Put Together An Emergency Kit
Be sure to include these items (click here for full list)
- Extra batteries
- Bottled water (At least 3 gallons per person)
- Battery-powered radio
- Battery-powered lantern
- First aid kit and essential medications-prescription medications and list of medications for each person
- Form of identification
- Evacuate route maps (Official Louisiana Hurricane Survival Guide)
- Canned food and non-electronic can opener
- Important papers (identification, proof of residence, insurance policies, marriage and birth certificates etc.) to take with you in a portable, waterproof container.
Step 2: Make Preparations
Go to the Get a Game Plan Website for a full list of what to do for each bulleted topic
- Prepare a personal evacuation plan
- Know what to do when a Hurricane WATCH is issued
- Know what to do when a Hurricane WARNING is issued
- Protect your home
- Protect your valuables
- Prepare for high winds
- Prepare for those with special needs (Download the special needs guide)
Step 3: Stay Informed
Sign up for FREE Weather and Emergency Alerts to be sent to your cell phone, pager or blackberry. Sign up here.
Follow Get A Game Plan on Twitter and receive emergency update tweets.