Advanced Heart Failure Program:
The Advanced Heart Failure Program at The John Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute (JOHVI) offers state of art comprehensive management of all stages of congestive heart failure. Our multi-disciplinary team of transplant cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists, electrophysiologists, and ancillary staff work together to provide patients a complete array of innovative technologies ranging from surgical and percutaneously implantable mechanical support, implantable hemodynamic monitoring, biventricular pacing, ultrafiltration, and novel drug therapies. Our goal is to provide each patient a tailored plan of treatment addressing their physical, mental and emotional needs. Open access clinics, telemanagement, nutrition counseling and social services help achieve this goal.
Ochsner provides advanced and innovative methods for diagnosing and treating patients with heart failure
- Comprehensive services including both invasive and non-invasive diagnostic procedures, inotrope support, electrophysiology therapy, short term and long term mechanical circulatory support devices, surgical procedures and cardiac rehabilitation
Multidisciplinary team consisting of nationally recognized physicians in addition to highly skilled nurse coordinators and social workers
- Ochsner provides ongoing disease management education in both the inpatient and outpatient settings
Ochsner’s Cardiomyopathy and Heart Transplant Program is the largest Medicare-approved heart transplant program in Louisiana, performing over 20 heart transplants per year.
- First heart transplant in the Gulf South region performed in 1970
Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the 50 best hospitals in America for Heart and Heart Surgery
- Over 800 patients have undergone heart transplant at Ochsner
Interdisciplinary team approach to care consisting of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, dieticians, financial coordinators and social workers
Mechanical Circulatory Support:
Ochsner's Mechanical Circulatory Support program provides comprehensive treatment options for many clinical indications including bridge to recovery, bridge to decision, bridge to transplant and destination therapy.
- Ochsner is the largest provider of left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) in the state, implanting over 30 LVADs each year, both as bridge to transplant and destination therapy.
- Ochsner is the first in the Gulf South Region to offer the world’s first and only FDA-approved total artificial heart.
- Ochsner is one of only 40 sites in the US certified to implant the SynCardia temporary Total Artificial Heart.
We offer a comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension clinic in collaboration with our pulmonary medicine physicians. We are actively participating in multiple clinical trials to offer a wide range of innovate and investigational treatment options, including oral, inhaled, subcutaneous and intravenous therapies, as well as lung transplantation for advanced disease.
- Specialized clinic dedicated to diagnosing and treating pulmonary hypertension
- Wide variety of treatment options including oral, inhaled and intravenous medications
- Experienced coordinators provide ongoing patient care through nurse led support groups and clinic based education sessions
- Physicians and nurses participate in ongoing research regarding the progression and management of pulmonary hypertension and offer the most advanced treatment options available
For more information or to schedule an appointment:
- Patient Appointments: 504-842-4721
- Cardiovascular Services Physician Liaison: Brittany Baker: 504-418-0959
For Referring Physicians
Referring physicians, for 24/7 transfers, referrals and phone consults, call the Regional Referral Center at 1-855-OHS-LINK (647-5465).
For more patient education resources on heart failure and your guide to heart disease prevention and management, visit our online library.
To view the video, click the PLAY button above.
To view more videos, click here,
or use the scroll button on the left.