Child Life Specialists at Ochsner
Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS) are professionals who are trained in the areas of child development, child life, counseling and psychology, and have expertise in dealing with children's concerns and reactions to the hospital and their illnesses.
In accordance with Ochsner for Children's family-centered care philosophy, Child Life Specialists recognize and support each family's individuality, strengths and mechanisms for coping. They are members of the comprehensive healthcare team, focusing on promoting normal growth and development, and use play and other forms of communication to help reduce the stress of the healthcare experience for children and their families.
A Child Life Specialist can help you and your child understand and manage your healthcare experience through education, procedural preparation, medical play and other therapeutic activities.
The Child Life department also works with siblings and families to provide support and help deal with understanding of hospitalization, illnesses or stressful hospital situations.
To reach the Child Life Department please call 842-2032.
What Services are provided by Child Life Specialists?
- Preparation and accompaniment to tests, surgeries, heart catheterizations and other procedures
- Pre-operative tours
- Normalization of the hospital environment
- Therapeutic medical play
- Sibling support and education
- Support for grief and bereavement issues
- Pet therapy
- School re-entry programs
- Community outreach programs
- Activities to continue normal growth and development in clinics, patient rooms and Child Life activity rooms
- Medical, expressive and other therapeutic play
- Coordination of special events, such as birthdays, holiday celebrations, entertainment and donations
In What Areas Do Child Life Specialists Work at Ochsner?
Child Life Specialists work in many areas of both the hospital and outpatient clinic settings. In each of these areas, Child Life Specialists plan individualized interventions for each patient and family.
Some of these departments include, but are not limited to:
- Pediatric Inpatient Unit
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Merrill Hines Surgery Center
- Day of Surgery Center (DOSC)
- Operating Room
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit (Recovery)
- Cath Lab
- EP Lab
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Outpatient Ambulatory Care Center (Clinic)