The Child Life internship program at Ochsner Medical Center is designed for individuals with the desire and knowledge to become a Child Life Specialist. Our Child life internship provides clinical development through a systematic learning experience centered on Child Life competencies.
- 14 week long internship
- 40 hours per week for a total of 560 hours
- Students will have rotations on the Pediatric unit, PICU, surgery centers, with mini-rotations in the Pediatric Clinic and other areas Child Life visits
- Supervision is provided by Certified Child Life Specialists, who strive to assist students as they apply theory to practice
- Internships are offered in the Fall and Spring
WE WILL NOT BE OFFERING AN INTERNSHIP FALL 2013
|Internship Session||Application Deadlines||Initial Offer Dates||Acceptance Dates||
Offer Dates for 2012-13
Acceptance Dates for
Our internship sessions are consistent with the recommendations from the Child Life Council.
Minimum requirements for Child Life internship at Ochsner Medical Center:
- Completed Application
- Resume detailing career objectives and experiences working with children
- Academic transcripts reflecting completion of coursework recommended by the Child life Council
- Course work review by the Child Life Council
- Two letters of recommendation, one from an academic professor and one from a supervisor who has observed your work with children
- Documentation of 150 hours of work with children of which, 75 hours must be completed in a child life practicum in a health care setting or in facility where children with medical and/or developmental challenges are served and must be under the direct supervision of a certified child life specialist.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in related coursework
If you are interested in our Child Life internship, click here to fill out the Common Internship Application that is provided by the Child Life Council.
Please fill out this Work/Volunteer Experience sheet and send it with your completed application.
Once you have completed this application, please send all paperwork to:
Child Life Department
Ochsner Medical Center
1514 Jefferson Highway
New Orleans, Louisiana 70121
If you have any further questions, please call our Child Life Department at (504) 842-2032.