The Ochsner Diabetes Management and Self-Care Training Center can help you manage your diabetes health. We are accredited by the American Diabetes Association.
How Does The Program Work?
The program consists of a one-hour initial individual visit with either a nurse practitioner or registered dietitian, followed by small group classes.
Class topics include:
- Overview of diabetes and medications
- Blood sugar goals and diabetes labs
- Healthy eating, food label reading and carbohydrate counting
- Weight management strategies
- Effective exercise programs and safety
- Wellness and preventing complications
We offer an individual follow-up visit about 1-2 months after classes. Additional individual visits are scheduled based upon further medical or educational needs.
Diabetes Management and Self-Care Training Center
- Self-care training classes
- Diabetes medication management by a nurse practitioner
- Medical nutrition therapy by a registered dietitian
- Insulin pump education
- Continuous blood sugar monitoring systems
Are You at Risk for Diabetes?
Contact your health care provider if you are at risk for diabetes.
- Overweight or obese
- Over 45 years old
- Have parent or sibling with diabetes
- African American, Latino/Hispanic American, Native American, Asian American or Pacific Islander
- Developed diabetes in pregnancy
Blood Sugar Control Chart
An A1C is a blood test that helps determine how well your diabetes is controlled over a 2-3 month period. The eAG is the estimated average blood sugar during that 2-3 month period.
For example, an A1C of 7% is like having an estimated average blood sugar level of about 154mg/dl. It is best to have an A1C below 7% to stay healthy with diabetes.
The A1C can now be used to diagnose diabetes. An A1C of 6.5% or more shows someone has diabetes.
Click here to view a A1C% eAG mg/dl CHART.
Is the Program Covered by My Insurance?
A signed physician referral is required annually to process insurance authorization. Please be aware of your insurance plan benefits and limitations. If you are without insurance or insurance denies, we offer a discounted rate for dietitian visits and diabetes classes due at the time of service.
How Can I Schedule An Appointment?
All services are provided by appointment only. Appointments are scheduled Monday-Friday from 7:30 am-4:00 pm.
Call 225-761-5586 to schedule an appointment at one of our locations.
Ochsner Baton Rouge
Let a Diabetes Educator Help You Stay Healthy!