Diabetes Management, Weight Loss, and Wellness Program
Ochsner is committed to our patients having healthy lives with infinite possibilities. We have developed a program for diabetes management, weight loss, and wellness which is accredited by the American Diabetes Association.
There are several risk factors for diabetes. People who are overweight or have a parent or sibling with diabetes are at risk for diabetes. African Americans, Latino/Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders have increased risk. Also, people over 45 years old have a greater chance of getting diabetes. Speak with your healthcare provider if you feel you may be at risk for diabetes.
Ochsner offers many services for diabetes management. We provide:
- self-care training classes
- medical management by a Nurse Practitioner
- medical nutrition therapy by a Registered Dietitian
- insulin pump education continuous blood sugar monitoring systems
Our diabetes management program consists of a one-hour initial individual visit with either a Nurse Practitioner or Registered Dietitian, followed by small group classes. Examples of topics discussed in our small group classes include:
- overview of diabetes and medications
- blood sugar goals and diabetes labs
- healthy eating, food label reading and carbohydrate counting
- weight management strategies
- effective exercise programs and safety
- wellness and preventing complications
About 1-2 months after the classes, we offer an individual follow-up visit. Additional visits are scheduled based upon further medical or educational needs.
Ideal Protein Weight Loss
Ideal Protein is a four-phase medically designed and professionally supervised muscle-sparing weight loss protocol. The average person has a weight loss of 3-7 pounds per week. The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method stabilizes the pancreas and blood sugar levels while burning fat. The ideal protein protocol has a beginning and an end.
This assists in transitioning to a healthy lifestyle plan for weight management. Anyone can participate but some health conditions can restrict participation or may require consent from your healthcare provider. You will be given a health profile questionnaire prior to your first appointment to complete. This will be used to determine if you are a candidate.
The Ochsner Ideal Protein weight loss program offers:
- medically trained support throughout the program
- 3 appointments with a Registered Dietitian or Nurse Practitioner
- weekly appointments with our Ideal Protein coach
- free 30 minute personal training sessions (3)
- discounted membership to the YMCA
- support groups
- recognition of milestones towards your weight loss goal
- lifestyle plan at program completion
To learn more, call 225-761-5586 and ask to speak to an Ideal Protein Coach. Ask to attend the free informational seminar or to schedule a new patient appointment. You will be asked to complete health forms prior to initial appointment.
Wellness Nutrition Counseling
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is performed by a Registered Dietitian (RD) to improve health and quality of life.
Our team provides services for a variety of health and medical conditions including:
- cardiovascular diseases (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, congestive heart failure)
- diabetes (type 1, type 2, gestational, metabolic syndrome)
- eating disorders (anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa)
- general wellness
- GI disorders (celiac disease, cirrhosis, crohn’s disease)
- immunocompromised (food allergy, HIV/AIDS)
- nutritional support (oral and tube feeding)
- pediatric, childhood and adolescent health
- pulmonary disease (COPD)
- renal or kidney disease
- sports nutrition and fitness
- weight management (individual nutrition counseling, Ideal Protein protocol, bariatric services)
- women’s health (pregnancy, osteoporosis, anemia)
Your initial MNT appointment includes a comprehensive nutrition assessment and individualized meal plan tailored to meet your health and lifestyle goals. Education includes meal planning, label reading, dining out and managing social events and travel. Additional visits are scheduled based upon further medical or educational needs.
- All services are provided by appointment only.
- Appointments are scheduled Monday-Friday from 7:30 am – 4:00 pm by calling 225-761-5586.
Please ask about availability at each Ochsner location. Our Ideal Protein Coach offers earlier and later appointment times.
The Ochsner Ideal Protein weight loss program is only offered at Ochsner Health Center - Bluebonnet located at 9001 Summa Avenue.
A physician signed referral is required annually to process insurance authorization. Be aware of your insurance plan benefits and limitations. If you are without insurance or your insurance coverage is denied, we offer a discounted rate for dietitian visits and diabetes classes due at the time of service. Please note that Ideal Protein is not covered by insurance.
For more information about insurance plans accepted at Ochsner Baton Rouge, click here.