Ochsner performs heart transplants on pediatric patients from birth to age 18.
Our program is offers pediatric heart transplants, assist devices, (including Berlin Hearts, Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD), and catheter based interventions) to patients from their first day of life to the age of 18 years old.
Ochsner accepts patients with all types of pediatric heart diseases from congenital anomalies such as Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome to acquired heart disease such as Dilated Cardiomyopathy.
Schedule An Appointment
To schedule a patient appointment with Pediatric Cardiology, call 504-842-5200.
Pediatric Heart Transplants
Ochsner has performed the following types of pediatric heart transplants with a 100% success rate to date:
- 12 year old female with Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- 3 year old male with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome s/p Glenn operation with failing single ventricle.
- 12 year old male with Dilated Cardiomyopathy (received a Left Ventricular Assist device at Ochsner prior to transplant)
- 15 year old male with Dilated Cardiomyopathy (received a Left Ventricular Assist device at Ochsner prior to transplant)
- 16 year old male with Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Postoperative ventricular septal defect
- Tetralogy of fallot
- Transposition of great arteries
- Postoperative tetralogy of fallot
- Ventricular septal defect, unspecified
- Chest pain
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Aortic regurgitation
- Postoperative atrial septal defect secundum
- Postoperative fontan
To refer a patient to our program, call Megan Owens, PA-C, Pediatric Heart Transplant Coordinator at 504-842-5200.
Meet Our Team
Dr. Inder Mehta, Cardiac Surgeon
Dr. Thomas Young, Pediatric Cardiologist
Dr. Gene Parrino and Dr. Umraan Ahmad perform adult heart transplants and assist the pediatric surgeons with LVAD’s and heart transplants.