Minimally Invasive Robotic Procedure for Kidney Cancer
About the Procedure
Robotic Partial Nephrectomy utilizing “Firefly” technology, a new near-infared fluerescence imaging guided system available on the da Vinci SI Surgical System. This renal sparing procedure is used for removing a renal tumor or kidney cancer.
The enhanced imaging guidance system incorporates a green colored dye called IndoCyanine Green (ICG) and is utilized for identification of the renal vessels and for selective arterial clamping during kidney sparing surgery for patients with kidney cancer.
It can also aid in the real time identification of the tumor and help avoid positive margin.
This procedure is ideal for patients with tumors, as the Robotic Partial Nephrectomy with Firefly will allow renal preservation and will spare as much of the noncancerous kidney and vessels as possible.
Ochsner doctor, Stephen Bardot, MD is the only surgeon in Louisiana and a select small group of surgeons in the world utilizing this fascinating leading edge technique.
Who is a candidate?
Candidates for this procedure are any patients who have been diagnosed with a Renal Tumor or Kidney Cancer.
This minimally invasive procedure provides numerous surgical benefits:
- Due to the Robotic Assisted Partial Nephrectomy using ICG visualization of the renal vessels and live renal tissue, it allows the surgeon the ability to see in real time the live tissue versus the cancerous.
- By imaging or ICG it assists the surgeon in obtain the cancer to the margins, making sure that live tissue and vessels remain intact.
Benefits to our patients are:
- Shorter hospitalization and recovery time allowing patients to get back to their life and work faster
- Smaller incisions and less postoperative pain
- Medically knowing that the ICG aided in the removal of cancerous tissue
Meet Our Team
Dr. Bardot earned his medical degree from the University of Kansas Medical School. He completed a Urologic Oncology fellowship at Cleveland Clinic. He is board certified in urology and is the Head of Ochsner's Urology Section.
Ochsner Medical Center
1514 Jefferson Hwy.
New Orleans, LA 70121
How To Make An Appointment
*Content courtesy of daVinci Surgery/Intuitive