The oncologic surgeons at Ochsner have specialized training in managing complicated cancer problems. They are expert in special procedures for removal of cancer and are skilled in the surgical management of recurrent or metastatic cancer. Many of the surgeons have pioneered minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopy and robotic surgery. Cancer of each major organ system is managed by a team approach with surgeons having special expertise playing a lead role. Some of the major organ systems and the surgical department that primarily manages them treated at Ochsner are listed below.
- Breast cancer: Surgical Oncology (General Surgery)
- Colon, rectal and anal cancer: Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Eye tumors: Opthalmology
- Gynecologic cancers (uterus, cervix and ovary): Gynecologic Oncology
- Head and neck cancers: Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ENT)
- Lung cancer: Thoracic Surgery
- Nervous system tumors (Brain, spinal cord): Neurosurgery
- Orthopedic tumors (Bone, muscles, extremity): Orthopedic Surgery
- Skin: Dermatology
- Upper Intestinal and abdominal cancers (Esophageal cancer, Gastric cancer, pancreatic cancer): Surgical Oncology (General Surgery)
- Urologic cancers (Kidney, bladder, prostate): Urology
Each surgeon works in close coordination with the Ochsner Cancer Institute, a multi-disciplinary setting that maximizes the results and optimizes the potential for cure. Our concern is not only for a good functional outcome but also to minimize side effects, maximize cosmetic results and promote healing. We are also involved in innovative therapies, delivering treatment not generally available elsewhere in the community.