As the leader of robotic surgery in the Gulf South region, Ochsner is one of several training sites for robotic surgery in the world. This means you can have peace of mind knowing that our surgeons are uniquely qualified. The da Vinci® Surgical System is simply the most advanced tool available for urologic and gynecologic procedures. Instead of making large incisions as in traditional surgery, the robot only requires a series of small incisions. This means less blood loss and less scarring. Also, because of the minimally-invasive nature of the procedure, patients recover very quickly and can usually renew normal activity within a week. Ochsner's robotic surgery system is used for hysterectomies, removal of fibroids, correction of vaginal prolapse, pelvic reconstructive surgery and reversal of tubal ligation. Young women with severe endometriosis are also candidates for this technology. In addition, older women are candidates for procedures to correct urinary leakage, incontinence, and bladder suspensions. Robotic Surgery at Ochsner represents a significant advancement in gynecological care and treatment for these patients allowing Ochsner surgeons the ability to offer the benefits of minimally invasive surgery to a broader range of patients. Potential patient benefits include:
- Significantly less pain post-operatively (often only over-the-counter pain meds required)
- Shorter hospital stay (one day in most cases versus three-to-five days)
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities (one-to-two weeks versus six-to-eight weeks)
- Fewer complications and less risk of infection
- Less scarring (only a small, dime-sized incision is needed, versus a six-to-eight-inch scar)
Da Vinci Surgery may be the most effective and the least-invasive option for many gynecologic conditions requiring surgery.