Wound Care Services offered by Ochsner Health System is a coordinated system of care, offered at multiple regional access points throughout south Louisiana, featuring specialty trained physicians, therapists and nurses who provide a multidisciplinary approach to wound assessment and develop individualized treatment plans for patients.
Our multidisciplinary team includes members from the Departments of Vascular Medicine and Surgery, Infectious Disease, Podiatry, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Hyperbaric Medicine, and Physical Therapy.
If you would like to make an appointment with a wound care specialist, please contact the Wound Care Nurse Navigator at (504) 842-0400 or 1-855-237-3141 or the Ochsner Kenner’s Wound Care & Hyperbarics at (504) 464-8686.
Many people each year are affected by chronic open sores that fail to heal in a timely manner. A chronic wound is one that fails to respond to appropriate treatment in a three month time period.
We provide state of the art treatments for the following types of wounds:
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Venous Leg Ulcers
- Arterial Ulcers
- Chronic Osteomyelitis with open wounds
- Radiation related tissue damage
- Non healing surgical wounds
- Chemical and thermal burns
Specialized Wound Care Services
The science and technology of wound care management continues to grow and change. We utilize the latest technology in the assessment and treatment of chronic wounds.
- Total Contact Casting - Considered by many in the wound care arena to be the gold standard for off-loading wounds, this highly specialized technique should only be performed by technicians or therapists who are extremely proficient and perform the procedure on a frequent basis. Casting is performed by a licensed physical therapist or casting technician.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) - This treatment modality is available at Ochsner Medical Center – Kenner. HBOT is the medical use of oxygen at pressures higher than atmospheric pressure. One of the main therapeutic principles of hyperbaric oxygen lies in its ability to drastically increase the partial pressure of oxygen in the tissues of the body. A related effect is the increased oxygen transport capacity of the plasma
- Vacuum Assisted Closure - Also known as Negative Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT0 is a highly specialized advanced wound care modality that has been shown to dramatically speed the healing of deeper wounds. NPWT therapy is performed on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
- Pulsed Lavage - Pulsed lavage removes surface contaminants within the safe range of 4-15 PSI to stimulate the formation of new granulation tissue without harming existing granulation. Pulsed lavage is a comfortable, typically painless, procedure which is available through one of our licensed physical therapists
- Burn Care - Of first and second degree burns requiring outpatient services.
- Compression Therapy - Including specialty wraps, lymphatic massage, or compression pumps.
- Sharps Debridement - To facilitate removal of devitalized tissue.
- Advanced Wound Dressings - Including bioengineered skin substitutes.
- Vascular Surgery - Ochsner Wound Care Services has a team of vascular and endovascular surgery specialists dedicated to maximizing limb salvage utilizing cutting edge techniques. Both minimally invasive endovascular and traditional ‘open’ surgical techniques are employed to maximize healing of wounds that are of vascular origin.
Ochsner is dedicated to providing exceptional treatment for patients and excellent service to referring physicians by offering comprehensive and coordinated care.
- Multidisciplinary Team - Full array of experienced wound care specialists and treatment offerings to complement your practice with any aspect of care needed
- Nurse Navigator Program - Dedicated Wound Care Nurse Navigator coordinates all aspects of navigating Wound Care services from service questions to physician referrals
- Electronic Medical Record - Connects patient medical records for convenience and seamless access