The Finance Fellowship program serves as a means to help develop a fellow’s career by fostering their professional development and providing broad experiences within health care, specifically in the Finance arena. Fellows will have the opportunity to be exposed to unique projects throughout their rotations in order to cultivate competencies that are critical to the success of the fellow.
Ochsner offers 1-2 Finance Administrative Fellowship positions yearly. Over the 24 month period, the Fellows have the opportunity to rotate through and experience aspects of the hospitals, clinics, corporate office and any of the other entities in which organizational needs are identified and fellow interest is expressed. Administrative Fellows are exposed to a broad range of hands-on experiences that will prepare them for a successful career in healthcare. Jeff Saucier, System Vice President of Financial Planning and Analysis acts as the preceptor for the Fellows and coordinates involvement with all levels of administration within the organization. Fellows will concentrate on areas associated with finance to obtain maximum understanding of healthcare finances and revenue, as well as rotate through areas related to their own interests and career objectives.
Fellows will focus on core competencies related to Medical Operations within Hospital & Clinic Settings, Revenue Cycle, General Accounting Functions, Operational Finance Functions and Corporate Structure. After the completion of these rotations, fellows will experience a more focused training associated with organizational need matched with candidate’s interest.
Each rotation will serve as a learning experience for the fellow by testing abilities, as well as instilling applicable system and divisional knowledge related to the strategic plan of our organization. Applicable project work will be assigned within each rotation in order to ensure the Fellow’s progress is meeting the expectations of the program. In addition to departmental designated projects, fellows will also have the opportunity to seek out projects that meet their personal career objectives.
Fellows will have the opportunity to gain in-depth experience and knowledge of health care finance. Rotational assignments include Decision Support, Revenue Cycle, CFO-Main Campus and South Shore Clinics, Community Hospitals and Clinics, Operations, and a specialized Project Work rotation with the program’s preceptor.
Leadership & Mentoring
Professional development is a fundamental component of the Finance Administrative Fellowship Program. Fellows are assigned a preceptor who will be responsible for serving as a mentor throughout the fellowship. Project reporting, progress evaluations, and feedback will be facilitated by preceptors to ensure continuous competency development of each fellow. Fellows will also have the opportunity to collaborate with executives and senior administration throughout the duration of the program. Examples of Fellow participation and leadership interaction include:
- Monthly Operating Reviews
- System Quarterly Reviews
- Bi-weekly CFO Meetings
- Financial Planning & Analytics Training
- Executive Retreats
- Professional Healthcare Conferences
- Various Senior Leadership Meetings
- Strategic Planning Sessions
- MedPAC planning/attendance
The prospective Finance Fellow must have completed the didactic portion of an accredited graduate program. Preferred candidates should possess at least one of the following credentials:
MBA with a Finance Concentration, Master of Finance or Accounting, or other master’s degree with an undergraduate concentration in Finance or related major.
How to Apply
Prospective Finance Fellows must submit the following documentation as one application submittal by Monday, January 28, 2019 for the July 2019 Fellowship cycle:
- Application Cover Sheet
- Personal Statement (1 page single space) – Discuss your interest and expectations in a Fellowship Program, specifically finance, why you have chosen healthcare, your career aspirations and expected timeline, and specifically your interest in Ochsner Health System.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – Signed, include name, title and phone number (combination of Academic and Professional) NOTE: References wanting to send letters directly to email address, should include candidates full name in subject line. All letters must be received by specified deadline for application to be considered.
- Official Graduate School Transcript(s)- Transcripts should be mailed directly to: Ochsner Fellowship Program, Attn.: Faye Campo, 1315 Jefferson Highway, Room 1X011, New Orleans, LA 70121 and must be received by specified deadline for application to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Please email all legible required documentation in pdf file (subject line to include: candidate last name, first name, concentration applying for) by Monday, January 28, 2019 to: FinanceAdminFellow@ochsner.org.
Any submissions received after January 28, 2019 will NOT BE eligible.
For questions or additional information on applying please email a current member of our fellowship program at: FinanceAdminFellow@ochsner.org.