Ochsner Health System is committed to providing all employees with the necessary resources to ensure the highest level of patient care and productivity. Successful pursuit of our mission to Serve, Heal, Lead, Educate, and Innovate depends on the effectiveness of our leaders. We offer numerous resources to our leaders, including:
- Onboarding Resources
- Quarterly System Leadership Meetings
- HR Support provided by a specific Advisor, Business Consultant, and/or HR Manager assigned to your department
- Ochsner Leadership Institute
- New Employee Orientation: All Ochsner employees are required to attend a Connections Orientation Day. This session offers employees insight into the culture, history, scope and Mission and Vision of the organization. Facilitated by Talent Management, this is a general session to orient new employees to the system as a whole.
- New Leader Orientation: Ochsner Leadership Institute is offering a New Leader Orientation (NLO) for all newly hired or newly promoted leadership team members. The goal of this orientation is to introduce new Ochsner leaders to management related policies and programs that are needed to ensure success.
- Department Orientation: As a new leader at Ochsner, the first 100 days are essential in setting up future success. Each new leader will receive a specific department orientation immediately following New Employee Orientation that will continue over the first 100 days of employment. This orientation is designed to familiarize the new leader with the department, employees, and the specific processes and culture of the department. This orientation will include a tour of the department, attending leadership meetings, reviewing specific software systems, ensuring understanding of HR policies and procedures, reviewing Employee Engagement survey reports and action plans in progress, and creating specific goals and objectives for the department and self.
The Ochsner Leadership Institute (OLI) provides free professional education for all Ochsner leaders. Its purpose is to better prepare our leaders to confront challenges, seek opportunity, and ignite enthusiasm around best practices in healthcare. This off-site executive training center is the cornerstone of Ochsner’s commitment to grow and develop its own leaders and is focused on developing core leadership competencies where skills, knowledge, motives, and attitude connect. The executive team and top-performing Operations leaders serve as the primary instructors.
Each year, a set of required courses is established with the expectation that all leaders will obtain a minimum of 40 hours per year in leadership professional development (beyond industry-specific training). As part of the leadership performance evaluation process, each leader creates a learning map to focus on key developmental opportunities. One-on-one meetings between leaders and their next-level leader allow for candid feedback to drive future performance.
As part of its ongoing commitment to learning, as well as the need to train leaders in new and different ways to meet the challenges of the current market, the Ochsner Learning Institute (OLI) has transformed its content and delivery of course offerings to best prepare leaders. OLI began offering nomination-based courses where top performers are nominated by their CEO or CDL (Corporate Division Leader) to attend classes within a professional band that target learning in a specific skill set.
Rather than a one-size-fits-all approach, this allows leaders to participate in application-based courses that enhance their learning and daily business management skills. There are pre- and post-work assignments associated with each class as well as report-outs after 90 days to show the connection between learning and performance.