Click here for the Pharmacy Residency Programs page.
The PGY 1/2 Health-System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership residency is 24-month program designed to offer a strong foundation for residents including robust PGY1 clinical experiences, as well as diverse operational, clinical, and financial management areas across Ochsner Health. The mission of the program is to develop and prepare pharmacists to lead, innovate, and execute within a complex health system.
The program builds upon PGY1 residency graduates’ competence in the delivery of patient-centered care and in pharmacy operational services to prepare residents who can assume high level managerial, supervisory, and leadership responsibilities. Areas of competence emphasized during the program include safe and effective medication-use systems, quality assurance and improvement, the management of human resources, the management of financial resources, use of technology, and advanced leadership. The residency lays the foundation for continued growth in management and leadership skills.
Upon graduation, residents are prepared for a clinical or operational management/supervisory role in a variety of work settings.
- To develop confident pharmacy leaders who will positively impact patient care.
- To provide exposure and integration into complex health system.
- To provide exposure and integration with a multi-disciplinary leadership team.
Program Structure Year 1:
Required (4-5 Weeks):
Elective (4-5 Weeks):
- Academic Pharmacotherapy
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice
- Practice Management
Core Projects and Responsibilities:
- Research Project
- Residents will be provided a list of research topics to choose from at which point they will develop a protocol, submit to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), collect data, present their research at ALCALDE, and complete a publishable manuscript. The resident will work under the mentorship of a preceptor to enhance the resident’s skills in study design, data collection, data analysis and results reporting.
- Continuing Education Presentation
- Resident will present one 60-minute formal continuing education presentation in the fall of their resident year for the pharmacy department.
- Morbidity, Mortality, and Improvement
- Residents will present a 60-minute formal, live case conference. The goal of the lecture is to expand the resident's communication and presentation skills while also providing them an opportunity to participate in quality improvement initiatives.
- Physician Lecture Series
- Residents will present one 20-minute pharmacotherapy topic to Internal Medicine resident physicians.
- Journal Club
- Residents will present one journal club per year to the pharmacy department.
- Residents will gain experience learning the drug distribution system by staffing in the central pharmacy every other weekend.
- Residents will have the Monday following their weekend worked off as a comp day
- Residents will also be required to staff one Ochsner observed holiday
Program Structure Year 2:
Required Learning Experiences PGY 2 Year
Elective Learning Experiences PGY 2 Year
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and Wellness Program
- Discounted gym membership
- 10 days of vacation & 8 holidays
- $42,000/year stipend
- Graduate of an accredited College/School of Pharmacy
- Eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the state of Louisiana
- Must obtain a Louisiana pharmacy intern license by start of the program (if not licensed as a pharmacist)
- Licensed in the State of Louisiana before the program begins or shortly thereafter
The following materials should be submitted via the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application System (PHORCAS):
- Letter of intent
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Materials should be submitted via the PHORCAS
Residency Program Director:
Deborah Simonson, PharmD
Residency Program Coordinator:
Nicole Fabre’-LaCoste, PharmD, BCPS, BCGP, DPLA
Assistant Director – Medication Use, Safety and Education