Click here for the Pharmacy Residency Programs page.
The ASHP-accredited Ochsner Medical Center PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency is an intense twelve month program designed to develop clinical practice skills by providing exposure to a clinical environment that offers diverse training in a variety of pharmacy practice areas. The resident will become proficient in a broad range of services structured to develop their individual strengths and advance the growth of their clinical judgment. The program allows for sufficient flexibility to adapt to the needs and interests of the individual resident, while providing the basic foundation to develop the professional skills essential for a practicing clinical pharmacist. At the completion of the program, the resident will be prepared to function as a general clinical practitioner in an acute care setting and also be prepared to pursue a PGY 2 residency.
Ochsner Health is dedicated to excellence in patient care, education, and research. This mission has been intricately entwined throughout all aspects of the Health System. Ochsner is one of the largest non-university based physician training centers. Pharmacists are integrally involved in all aspects of patient care.
- To develop competent practitioners with an understanding of rational drug therapy and the ability to ensure safe, effective, and economical use of drugs.
- To provide a broad scope of experiences which enhances the resident’s ability to design, implement, provide, and improve clinical pharmacy services.
- To develop oral and written communication skills including enhancement of teaching skills and scholarly activity.
- To develop investigative and problem-solving skills.
Required: (7 months)
Elective: (5 months)
| || |
Core Projects and Responsibilities:
- Research Project
- Residents will be provided a list of research topics to choose from at which point they will develop a protocol, submit to the Institutional Review Board (IRB), collect data, present their research at ALCALDE, and complete a publishable manuscript. The resident will work under the mentorship of a preceptor to enhance the resident’s skills in study design, data collection, data analysis and results reporting.
- Continuing Education Presentation
- Resident will present one 60-minute formal continuing education presentation in the fall of their resident year for the pharmacy department.
- Case Presentation
- Residents will present a 60-minute formal case presentation in the spring of their resident year for the pharmacy department.
- Physician Lecture Series
- Residents will present one 20-minute pharmacotherapy topic to Internal Medicine resident physicians.
- Journal Club
- Residents will present one journal club per year to the pharmacy department.
- Residents will gain experience learning the drug distribution system by staffing in the central pharmacy every other weekend.
- Residents will also be required to staff one Ochsner observed holiday
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health and Wellness Program
- Discounted gym membership
- 10 days of vacation & 5 holidays
- A resident may not be absent from a rotation for >5 days, except to fulfill program-required leave
- $42,000/year stipend
Application & Eligibility Requirements:
- Letter of intent
- Academic transcript
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Graduate of an accredited College/School of Pharmacy
- Eligible for licensure to practice pharmacy in the State of Louisiana
- Must obtain a Louisiana pharmacy intern license by start of the program (if not licensed as a pharmacist)
- Licensed in the State of Louisiana before the program begins or shortly thereafter
- Materials should be submitted via the PHORCAS
Deadline for completed applications is the middle of January.
Only those applications files that have been completed will be considered for an on-site interview.
Residency Program Director:
Marissa Janusek, Pharm.D., BCPS
Residency Program Director, PGY 1 Pharmacy Residency Program
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Abdominal Transplant
Ochsner Medical Center – New Orleans