PGY-2 Health-System Pharmacy Administration
Residency Program Director: Deborah Simonson, Pharm.D.
Vice President, Pharmacy
Director of Pharmacy: Jason Chou, Pharm.D., M.S.
Duration/Type: PGY-2 Administrative Residency 12-month
Number of Positions: 1/yr
Application Deadline: 1-13-2016
Starting Date: Flexible (prefer July 1)
Interview Required: Yes
The novel Ochsner PGY-2 Health-System Pharmacy Administration Residency combines the pharmacy administrative experience with Ochsner’s Administrative Fellowship to provide the resident with a comprehensive pharmacy administration background, as well general health system leadership. This mission of the program is to develop and prepare pharmacists to lead, innovate, and execute within a complex health system.
1. Develop confident pharmacy leaders who will positively impact patient care
2. Exposure and integration into a complex health system
3. Build foundation for financial management and oversight
4. Develop expertise in medication safety best practices
5. Integration into multi-displinary leadership
Resident rotations are typically sequenced so that all required rotations are scheduled prior to the scheduling of any elective rotations. This is done so that in the event problems/concerns are identified with the resident’s performance there is still sufficient time in the program year to rectify these concerns with additional rotations in the areas.
Each resident must complete an orientation period during the first month of the residency program. This is to provide the resident with a fundamental background in basic operational functioning of the pharmacy department. Likewise, educational modules in various core areas of pharmacotherapy will need to be completed as well as competency testing.
|Ambulatory care and Clinic Management||Elizabeth Sampsel, PharmD, MBA, BCPS|
|Budgeting||Jason Chou, PharmD, M.S
|Clinical Pharmacy Leadership||Catherine Oliver, PharmD|
|Contract Management||Ryan Pepper|
|Human Resource Management||TBD|
|Medication Safety||Sheena Babin, PharmD|
|Pharmacy Operations||Jason Chou, PharmD, MS|
|System Pharmacy Leadership||Deborah Simonson, PharmD|
|Retail Pharmacy Management||Richard M. Indovina, Jr., RPh., MBA|
|Fellows Program||Faye Campo|
- 340b Program Compliance
- Community Hospital Leadership
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Ancillary service leadership (lab, radiology, respiratory care)
- Insurance, billing, and reimbursement
- Operations (non-pharmacy)
- Supply chain management
- Licensure: Applicants must be eligible in the state of Louisiana is a requirement for the Health-System Pharmacy Administration Resident.
- Staffing: The Health-System Administration Pharmacist will staff in the hospital pharmacy as a charge pharmacist every other week.
- Residency Recruitment: Residents may be required to assist in recruiting prospective candidates for the upcoming residency year. Residents attending the ASHP Midyear clinical meeting are expected to participate with recruitment. The Residency coordinator, Manager Clinical Services or Program Director will inform the residents of any other showcases that will be attended.
- Salary: Each Pharmacy Practice resident receives a competitive stipend. Residents will be paid bi-weekly.
- Insurance: Health, dental, life, disability, accidental death insurance available.
- General Purpose Time (includes Vacation and Sick Time): Residents are allotted 120 hours (15 days) of general-purpose time (GPT). The resident must have a vacation request form signed by the rotation preceptor and submit the form to the Residency Program Director for final approval. Vacation may not be allowed during a specific time period due to rotation requirements.
- A resident may not be absent from a rotation for >5 days, except to fulfill program-required leave.
- Holidays: Residents are entitled to the seven official holidays of Ochsner Health System: New Year’s Day, Mardi Gras Day, Good Friday, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Professional Leave / Business Days: Professional leave may be granted to attend the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Alcalde Southwest Leadership Conference, MedAssets Healthcare Business Summit, recruitment, and other meetings approved by the Residency Director. The resident may attend other professional organization meetings; however approval must first be obtained from the Residency Director as well as the rotation preceptor.
Special Requirements for Acceptance:
Pharm.D. degree, completion of an ASHP accredited PGY-1 residency, eligible for Louisiana licensure, curriculum vitae, letter of intent, 3 letters of recommendation and college transcripts.