Ochsner Education Outreach is committed to supporting the educators and schools in our communities by offering opportunities for furthering curriculum exploration, investigating career options, and providing first-hand experiences through multiple programs, including field trips and job shadows.
Field trips at Ochsner are an opportunity for teachers to bring the classroom to life. They provide students with hands-on experience and a chance to observe a hospital atmosphere, understand the uses and importance of equipment, and learn about the career opportunities available within healthcare, science, and research.
- Typically, students rotate in small groups through different departments
- Content aligned with what's being taught in the classroom, based on availability and age group
- 1- to 4-hour trips, based on content and age group
- Available for classes between 6 and 32 students
- Coordination takes a minimum of 4 weeks, so contact us as soon as possible
To request application materials, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Shadows (High School Students)
A job shadow is an individual opportunity for students to gain one-on-one, observational experience in the healthcare career field of their choice. Shadowing opportunities are available to any High School Student age 16 and older. Students beyond High School who are interested in Job Shadowing should contact email@example.com
- Typically a single-day experience, although recurring visits are possible
- Fully-customizable options, depending on mentor and department schedule/availability
- Maximum of 40 hours each year (anything over 40 hours qualifies as a Volunteer Services opportunity)
- 1- to 8-hour sessions, depending on mentor schedules
- Participants must be High School Students at least 16 years of age, but there is no maximum age
Contact us as early as possible! Coordination takes a minimum of 3 weeks, and space is limited. To request application materials, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Shadow Sign in Station
The Job Shadow Sign In Station is now located on the 2nd floor of the Education Center, 1401 Jefferson Hwy. The Education Center is attached to the pedestrian bridge and across the street from the main hospital.
On the day of the scheduled job shadow, the student must sign in and receive a badge before reporting to his/her job shadow mentor.
Apply online for a Job Shadow.
Completed Job Shadow Applications and Time Logs can be faxed to (504) 842-3389, ATTN: Education Outreach.
Stephanie Messina, Education Outreach Coordinator