Ochsner Education Outreach is committed to supporting the educators and schools in our communities by offering opportunities for furthering curriculum exploration, investigating career options, and providing first-hand experiences through multiple programs, including field trips and job shadows.
Virtual Field Trips - NEW!
Virtual field trips at Ochsner are an opportunity for teachers to bring the classroom to life, while also eliminating barriers such as transportation. Using Zoom, your class can connect directly to an industry professional. How can virtual field trips enhance what you are teaching in the classroom?
- Provide students the opportunity to talk directly to healthcare front line staff
- Give students a glance into the field of medicine
- Demonstrate technology & practices used within a specific specialty, aligning what is learned in class
What are the benefits of a virtual field trip?
- Ease in coordination &scheduling (no transportation required!)
- Allows for multiple classrooms/students to join (no limit!)
Complete the online registration form to start planning your virtual field trip!
Contact us as early as possible! Coordination takes a minimum of 3 weeks, and space is limited.
Donna Muller, Education Outreach Program Manager
In an effort to protect students and patients, job shadows on-campus field trips to Ochsner Health facilities are not being scheduled. We are committed to the wellbeing of our patients and communities and look forward to safely offering these activities when appropriate in the future. (High School Students)
A job shadow is an individual opportunity for students to gain one-on-one, observational experience in the healthcare career field of their choice. Shadowing opportunities are available to any High School Student age 16 and older.
- Typically a single-day experience, although recurring visits are possible
- Fully-customizable options, depending on mentor and department schedule/availability
- 1- to 8-hour sessions, depending on mentor schedules
- Participants must be High School Students at least 16 years of age, but there is no maximum age
Field trips at Ochsner are an opportunity for teachers to bring the classroom to life. They provide students with hands-on experience and a chance to observe a hospital atmosphere, understand the uses and importance of equipment, and learn about the career opportunities available within healthcare, science, and research.
- Typically, students rotate in small groups through different departments
- Content aligned with what's being taught in the classroom, based on availability and age group
- 1- to 4-hour trips, based on content and age group
- Available for classes between 6 and 32 students
- Coordination takes a minimum of 4 weeks, so contact us as soon as possible
To request application materials, email email@example.com.