Ochsner Education Outreach is committed to supporting the educators and schools in our communities by offering opportunities for furthering curriculum exploration, investigating career options, and providing first-hand experiences through multiple programs, including field trips and job shadows.
Field trips at Ochsner are an opportunity for teachers to bring the classroom to life. They provide students with hands-on experience and a chance to observe a hospital atmosphere, understand the uses and importance of equipment, and learn about the career opportunities available within healthcare, science, and research.
- Typically, students rotate in small groups through different departments
- Content aligned with what's being taught in the classroom, based on availability and age group
- 1- to 4-hour trips, based on content and age group
- Available for classes between 6 and 32 students
- Coordination takes a minimum of 4 weeks, so contact us as soon as possible
To request application materials, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Shadows (High School Students)
A job shadow is an individual opportunity for students to gain one-on-one, observational experience in the healthcare career field of their choice. Shadowing opportunities are available to any High School Student age 16 and older.
- Typically a single-day experience, although recurring visits are possible
- Fully-customizable options, depending on mentor and department schedule/availability
- 1- to 8-hour sessions, depending on mentor schedules
- Participants must be High School Students at least 16 years of age, but there is no maximum age
Contact us as early as possible! Coordination takes a minimum of 3 weeks, and space is limited. To request application materials, click here.
Donna Muller, Education Outreach Program Manager