Mohs Surgery: A One-Stop-Shop for Skin Cancer Treatment
What is a Mastectomy?
How to Live Your Best Life After Surviving Cancer
How Is Cancer Treated?
Breast Conservation Surgery: What To Know
Breast Cancer Patient Surprised With Trip to Super Bowl LII
Ochsner Patient Story: Gibson Sewell
Thyroid Cancer: Signs and Symptoms
Skin Cancer Checks During the Winter
The Top 5 Most Addictive Foods
Don't Let a Concussion Rain on Your Mardi Gras Parade
4 Ways Business Owners Can Stay Healthy While Hustling
Can Cold Weather Make Health Conditions Worse?
Does Decluttering Give You Joy? These 5 People Don’t Think So.
6 Things to Know When Your Child is Diagnosed with CHD
The oncologic surgeons at Ochsner have specialized training in managing complicated cancer problems. They are experts in special procedures for removal of cancer and are skilled in the surgical management of recurrent or metastatic cancer. Many of the surgeons have pioneered minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopy and robotic surgery. Cancer of each major organ system is managed by a team approach with surgeons having special expertise playing a lead role. Some of the major organ systems and the surgical department that primarily manages them treated at Ochsner are listed below.
- Breast cancer: Surgical Oncology (General Surgery)
- Colon, rectal and anal cancer: Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Eye tumors: Opthalmology
- Gynecologic cancers (uterus, cervix and ovary): Gynecologic Oncology
- Head and neck cancers: Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ENT)
- Lung cancer: Thoracic Surgery
- Nervous system tumors (Brain, spinal cord): Neurosurgery
- Orthopedic tumors (Bone, muscles, extremity): Orthopedic Surgery
- Skin: Dermatology
- Upper Intestinal and abdominal cancers (Esophageal cancer, Gastric cancer, pancreatic cancer): Surgical Oncology (General Surgery)
- Urologic cancers (Kidney, bladder, prostate): Urology
Each surgeon works in close coordination with the Ochsner Cancer Institute, a multi-disciplinary setting that maximizes the results and optimizes the potential for cure. Our concern is not only for a good functional outcome but also to minimize side effects, maximize cosmetic results and promote healing. We are also involved in innovative therapies, delivering treatment not generally available elsewhere in the community.