Every year, millions of new cancer cases are diagnosed in the U.S. Here in the Gulf South, patients are treated by some of the most talented surgical oncologists in the country – a team passionate about treating the whole person, not just the disease. You don’t have to leave home for superior, leading-edge care – you’ll find it right here at Ochsner.
Why Ochsner for Cancer Surgery?
The Surgical Oncology division at Ochsner offers collaborative, comprehensive, award-winning care.
Over the years, Ochsner surgeons have pioneered minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopy and robotic surgery. Our team has a level of experience with complex, high-risk procedures matched by only a small handful of surgeons in the United States.
- 2018: Ochsner Health is recognized by the QOPI (Quality Oncology Practice Initiative) Certification Program for meeting nationally recognized standards for high quality cancer care. Ochsner is the only health system in the New Orleans region with an Oncology practice certification. Read more about this recognition and what it means for care of our patients.
- 2013: Recognized among “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs” by Becker’s Hospital Review.
Same and Next Day Appointments
Ochsner oncology surgeons strive to be accessible to patients on a same-day or next-day basis for consultation. To schedule an appointment, call 504-842-4070.
Conditions We Treat
The Ochsner team is skilled in the surgical management of cancers at all stages, including recurrent or metastatic cancer. Our concern is not only for a good functional outcome but also to minimize side effects, maximize cosmetic results and promote healing.
Conditions we treat include:
- Biliary cancer
- Liver cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastric cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Upper intestinal cancer
- Abdominal cancers
Procedures We Perform
Procedures we perform include:
- Robotic esophagectomy
- Complex Whipple resections with vascular reconstruction
- Major liver resection, including surgery for multiple lesions requiring adjunctive techniques such as portal vein embolization, microwave ablation, vascular reconstruction, and hepatic artery chemo or radioembolization
Ochsner offers procedures not available elsewhere in the community, including:
- Complex Whipple resections after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiation
- Robotic esophageal cancer resections
- Surgically resected cancers are submitted for genetic and molecular profiling to determine if targeted therapies are available for the cancer treatment
Ochsner Prehabilitation Program
Ochsner surgical patients benefit from our state-of-the-art Prehabilitation program, designed to improve recovery time following surgery. By increasing physical activity prior to surgery, our bodies are better able to endure the stress of inactivity during recovery. Ask your doctor for more information.