How Is Cancer Treated?
Street Tacos (Recipe)
7 Nutrition Tips to Reduce Cancer Risk
Cancer: Lifestyle, Genes or Just Bad Luck
Ochsner Doctor's Note: Precision Cancer Therapies Program
Dear Ochsner: Letters from Ochsner Patients
Yoga Poses for Cancer Survivors
Acid and Gastrointestinal Reflux – Know the Signs and Symptoms
Ochsner & New Orleans Saints Employee Surprise
Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Medicine
A Stage 1 Diagnosis Abroad - Tod Thedy's Story
3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Soup Recipe
While esophageal and gastric cancers have been historically difficult, treatment options and outcomes are better now than ever. At Ochsner, we have cutting-edge care, expertise and experience on our side – not to mention both the compassion and passion you’re looking for.
World-Class Care In Your Backyard
Ochsner’s award-winning surgeons perform more esophagectomies than anyone else in Louisiana – hands down. And robotic minimally invasive surgical resection is available to 90% of our patients. What’s more, Ochsner surgeons implement the newest approaches to esophageal preservation. We focus on maximizing long-term outcomes while optimizing your functional and digestive recovery.
Awards and Accolades
- Ranked #31 Nationally in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery by U.S. News & World Report 2014-15 and the only ranked program in Louisiana and Mississippi
- Ranked in the Top 10% in the nation for Overall Cancer Care and Gastrointestinal Care by CareChex®
Putting the Team Approach to Work For Our Patients
We don’t just talk about the multi-disciplinary approach, we live it. At Ochsner, you’ll have a dedicated nurse navigator and a dedicated team of experts beside you every step of the way. Learn more about our team approach.
Kinds of Esophageal Cancer
There are two main types of esophageal cancer. Each was named for the type of cells that become malignant.
- Squamous cell carcinoma – This cancer forms in the flat, thin cells lining the surface of the esophagus. It is most often found in the upper and middle part of the esophagus.
- Adenocarcinoma – This type of cancer begins in the mucus-secreting glands in the esophagus. Typically, they form in the lower part of the esophagus, near the stomach.
Types of Surgery for Esophageal Cancer
Esophageal cancer surgeries available at Ochsner include:
- Open esophagectomy
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy
- Endoscopic mucosal resection
Patient Housing Options
Patients may stay at Ochsner’s Brent House Hotel, a full-service hotel with guest rooms and suites adjacent to Ochsner Medical Center. Call toll free 1-800-535-3986 or go to brenthouse.com for more information.
Patients and a caregiver may also stay at the American Cancer Society’s Patrick F. Taylor Hope Lodge. This program helps patients cope with the cancer treatment process and provides a supportive environment for patients. Ochsner can help coordinate housing arrangements if needed and additional information is available by calling 504-219-2200.
Qualified patients and family members can obtain free lodging at the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge.