Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
The primary goal of the antimicrobial stewardship program (ASP) is to optimize clinical outcomes while minimizing unintended consequences of antimicrobial use, including toxicity and the selection of resistant organisms, through the most appropriate use of antimicrobials.
Neutropenic Fever For Hematology Oncology And Bmt PatientsThe following evidence-based guidelines and protocols were developed for adult patients at Ochsner Medical Center - Jefferson Highway and should not replace clinical judgement.
- Antibacterial Agents
- Antifungal Agents
- Antiviral (non-HIV) Agents
- Antiretroviral Agents
- Antimycobacterial Agents
Select Principles of Antibiotic Dosing in Renal Failure More Details
- Fill the tank. Consider a loading dose to rapidly attain therapeutic concentrations.
- After the load, decrease the dose based on the degree of renal dysfunction.
- Balance the risk of overdosing versus underdosing. The more severe the infection, the higher risk of underdosing.
- The Cockcroft-Gault equation should be used to estimate renal function for drug dosing, though most equations are inaccurate with changing renal function.
- When adjusting the dose, either the dose or interval can be adjusted. Consider the pharmacodynamics of the antimicrobial when deciding.
- Estimation of removal of drug by dialysis is dependent on many factors. Supplemental dosing after hemodialysis is often necessary.
- Doses may need to change. Be flexible!
The following evidence-based guidelines and protocols were developed for adult patients at Ochsner Medical Center - Jefferson Highway and should not replace clinical judgement.
- Central Nervous System Infections
- Clostridium difficile Associated Diarrhea
- Infective Endocarditis
- Neutropenic Fever for Hematology Oncology and BMT Patients
- Procalcitonin Algorithm
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections
- Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Intra-abdominal infections
The following transplant guidelies were previously approved by the respective transplant departments.
- Prophylactic Antimicrobial Schedule in Heart Transplant Recipients
- Cytomegalovirus Prevention and Treatment in Heart Transplant Recipients
- Dental Prophylaxis in Heart Transplant Recipients
- Prophylactic Antimicrobial Schedule in Lung Translpant Recipients
- Cytomegalovirus Prevention and Treatment in Lung Transplant Recipients
- Prophylactic Antimicrobial Schedule in Kidney, Panc and Kid-Panc Transplant Recipients
- Prophylactic Antimicrobial Schedule in Liver Transplant Recipients
- Cytomegalovirus Prevention in Adult Abdominal Transplant Receipients
- Cytomegalovirus Treatment in Adult Abdominal Transplant Receipients
- Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis for Liver Transplant Recipients
- Management of Neutropenia in Kidney and or Pancreas Transplant Recipients