What do I need to do if I’m a new patient?
- Check in 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Have both your primary (and secondary if applicable) insurance information available.
- Be prepared to make your co-payment, if applicable.
- Please bring any medications, or a list of medications with dosage and number of times per day they are taken, along with you. Don’t forget to include over-the-counter medications.
- A current list of drugs (formulary) covered on your insurance will also help your doctor make any necessary changes in your medication.
How do I obtain a copy of my medical records?
For instructions on how to request copies of your child’s medical records, click here.
What if I have problem when my doctor’s office is closed?
If you have a medical concern or problem outside of normal operating hours, please call our Ochsner On-Call at 504-842-3155. Ochsner On Call provides appointment booking, health education, and advisory services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Specially trained registered nurses are available to discuss your health care concerns, to help you decide if your symptoms require going to the emergency room for assessment or a visit to a physician, and to recommend appropriate self-care techniques.
How does Ochsner keep track of immunizations records?
Ochsner participates in the LINKS program, also known as the Louisiana Immunization Network for Kids Statewide. It is a computer-based immunization information system administered by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals. The purpose of LINKS is to coordinate immunizations among health care providers to assure adequate immunization levels and to avoid unnecessary immunizations.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule my doctor’s appointment?
Out of consideration for other patients who may need the appointment time, please give Ochsner at least 24 hours advance notice if you are unable to keep your appointment time.
What is a virtual visit?
A virtual visit is a secure video appointment with your doctor via your smartphone or tablet. This allows patients to conduct a traditional office visit with their provider electronically through their MyOchsner app without leaving home or work.
How do I schedule a virtual visit with my pediatrician?
What are the technical requirements for a virtual visit?
You must have a mobile phone or tablet with a front-facing camera and iOS or Android operating system. Download the MyOchsner app on your device and select Ochsner Health as your healthcare provider. You can find the MyOchsner app in the App Store (iPhone) and Google Play Store (Android).
How do I start a virtual visit?
Before your visit, complete the ePre-Check in the MyOchsner app to verify your insurance, demographics and sign the Telehealth Consent Form. Click on your appointment to view the details and allow access to your camera and microphone. Select ‘Begin Visit’ in your appointment to enter a virtual visit waiting room until your provider joins the appointment. View the complete steps here.
I am a new patient. Can I do a virtual visit with an Ochsner pediatrician?
Some visit types can be done virtually for new patients in Louisiana. To schedule a virtual or in-person appointment, call 1-866-624-7637 or access the MyOchsner portal.
What conditions can be seen during a general pediatrics virtual visit?
Virtual visits are a convenient option for appointments related to the following conditions:
- Development/behavior (feeding, potty training, sleeping disorders)
- Pink eye
- Seasonal allergies (sneezing, congestion, itchy eyes, itchy nose)
- ADHD follow up visit
- Visit follow up
- Perspective parent & pediatrician meet and greet
Appointments requiring a physical exam, diagnostic test or procedure should be scheduled as an in-person visit. These conditions are appropriate for in-person visits:
- Well-child checks
- Ear pain
- Wheezing or cough
- Falls or head injuries
- Severe pain of any kind
- Nausea and vomiting
- New ADHD
- Joint pain or swelling
What conditions can be seen during a specialty pediatrics virtual visit?
Virtual visits are a convenient option for many follow up appointments related to the following conditions:
- Cardiology: post-op follow up, arrhythmia, new referrals for loop recorder or ablation, dysautonomia, POTS, palpitation, syncope, blood pressure, hypercholesterolemia, single ventricle
- Endocrinology: Vitamin D deficiency, obesity, transgender follow ups, osteoporosis, hypothyroidism, irregular periods, diabetes, hypoglycemia
- Appointments requiring a physical exam, diagnostic test or procedure should be scheduled as an in-person visit. These conditions are appropriate for in-person visits: panhypopituitarism, adrenal insufficiency, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, short/tall stature, precocious/delayed puberty, gynecomastia, thyroid cancer, hyperthyroidism, goiter, rickets with bone deformities
- Hematology/Oncology: any cancer or hematology diagnosis except for lymphadenopathy which should be seen in person
- Palliative Care: cognitive behavioral therapy, solution focused therapy, psychoeducation, psychological assessments
- Gastroenterology: follow up visits for abdominal pain, celiac disease, colitis, Crohn’s, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), constipation, diarrhea, failure to thrive/growth problems, general gastroenterology, liver, pancreatitis, reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), heartburn, vomiting
- Neurology: follow up visits for epilepsy, general neurology, headaches, memory disorders, movement disorders, traumatic brain injuries
- Pulmonology: follow up visits for asthma, cough, wheezing
- · Genetics
- BOH Center: ADHD follow up, autism assessment, behavioral training, consults for learning challenges
What does a pediatrics virtual visit cost?
The cost is the same as an in-person visit, as covered by your insurance. As with an in-person visit, you will be billed for co-pay at the time of your virtual visit (where you can pay online) or after the visit is completed. Contact your insurance provider for covered benefits.
What are the advantages of a virtual visit?
A virtual visit provides the same Ochsner experience with added convenience. The physician will do a comprehensive visit with each patient to determine next steps for their care.