Sport Psychology Comes to Therapy
Stroke Recovery: 6 Tips for the Caregiver
Get Moving! Benefits of Exercising for Mature Adults
Rehabilitation: Adults & Physical Therapy
The Role of Social Workers in Healthcare
3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Soup Recipe
Stomach Viruses: How Soon Can You Go to Work?
Ochsner West Campus
Located at the newly-created, state-of-the-art West Campus, the Ochsner Rehabilitation Hospital in partnership with Select Medical – a national leader in inpatient rehabilitation – features 56 inpatient rehabilitation beds, including eight beds dedicated to brain injury patients. The new hospital employs 185 therapists, nurses and other specialists. It will serve as a regional destination for patients recovering from stroke, neurological disorders, brain and spinal cord injuries, amputation and specific diagnosis associated with transplant, cardiac, cancer and orthopedic conditions. Visit our site at ochsner-rehab.com.
Ochsner West Campus
2614 Jefferson Hwy
Jefferson, LA 70121
Ochsner Medical Center - North Shore
Our North Shore facility offers fifteen private rooms and is located next to Ochsner Medical Center – North Shore. Our rooms and bathrooms are wheelchair accessible to meet the special needs of our patients. The members of our rehabilitation team are dedicated to helping people with physical disabilities achieve their highest level of independence and functioning.
Ochsner Medical Center- North Shore
104 Medical Center Dr.
Slidell, LA 70461
To be admitted, patients must have:
- The ability and the willingness to participate in three hours of therapy daily
- The potential for improvement
- The need for at least two of the following therapies: physical, occupational or speech
We Offer a Comprehensive Team Approach to Getting You Back into Life.
- 24-hour coverage by physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Certified, licensed and knowledgeable team of rehabilitation professionals
- Transitional room to assist patients with practicing independent living prior to discharge
- Therapy available seven days a week
- Patient-focused activities and leisure opportunities coordinated by a Licensed Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
- Community re-entry opportunities to help you go from the rehabilitation setting to home
- Certified Social Worker to assist with planning home needs and continued care following discharge
- Driving evaluations by a certified therapist
- Home evaluation and safety counseling to provide education and recommendations prior to discharge
Some of the Medical Conditions Treated at Ochsner Inpatient Rehabilitation:
- Orthopedic Injuries and Surgeries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Neurological Disorders
Technology is increasingly important in rehabilitative care at Ochsner and supports the work of physicians and therapists to help patients better regain function. Part of this support includes:
- The revolutionary Lokomat®, a treadmill equipped with a lift and robotic legs for patients who cannot stand on their own (North Shore Only)
- Wii Therapy which provides an enjoyable and entertaining way for patients to improve motor function, balance and problem solving skills
- Ipad Therapy which provides patients with a device that can assist in their ability to communicate and improve fine motor skills
Your care team collaborates to discuss your progress in meeting the goals you need to achieve before you return home. The team assesses your functional progress and provides the necessary recommendations for adaptations to your home environment to ensure a smooth transition back to your home life. Training is provided to both patients and their family members to provide education on how to compensate for persisting functional limitations while still working toward the remediation of those deficits in the next phase of therapy in a Home Health or Outpatient setting. Your rehab team and physician share this information with you and your family so that you are kept up to date. Family conferences with the team are available and family training is provided to assist your family with understanding your needs prior to discharge. You and your family are welcome to meet with any member of the care team to discuss your progress and any concerns that you might have.
Staff and Services
Our multidisciplinary team is dedicated to providing individualized goal-directed care and consists of a certified, licensed and knowledgeable team of Rehabilitation Professionals.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) physicians evaluate every patient to identify and order the necessary services to overcome the patient’s functional barriers.
The services include Social Services, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Pathology, Rehabilitation Nursing and Therapeutic Recreation. Rehabilitation treatment plans are individually designed to address each patient’s specific needs as identified by the Rehabilitation Team, and address the needs of both the patient and their caregivers.
- Physiatrist – Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physicians will manage all aspects of your care on a daily basis
- Nursing Staff – Nurses and certified patient care technicians who are specially trained to attend to your specific needs
- Physical Therapists – Provide evaluation and treatment for your condition to help improve basic and higher level sitting and standing balance, safety awareness, problem solving, motor planning, functional mobility, functional endurance, core strengthening and overall strength. Discharge equipment assessment will be performed through collaboration with your assigned Occupational and Physical Therapists.
- Occupational Therapists – Provide evaluation and treatment for your condition to help improve problem solving, cognition, safety awareness, motor planning and sequencing of movements. They also provide treatment, which will help increase your upper body strength, functional sitting and standing balance, coordination and endurance necessary to perform daily living skills such as dressing, grooming and home skills like cooking and home management . Discharge equipment assessment will be performed through collaboration with your assigned Occupational and Physical Therapists.
- Speech Therapists – Provide evaluation and treatment to enhance memory, understanding and communication as well as recover the ability to speak and swallow. Video swallowing studies are provided when needed to assess swallowing problems and Vital Stimulation is available to promote the recovery of motor function needed for swallowing and speaking.
- Social Worker – Assists you in making an individualized discharge plan to ensure a smooth transition from rehabilitation to home
- Recreational Therapist (Elmwood Only) – Provide evaluation and treatment to address decreased socialization and leisure skills inventory. The therapist plans activities to help patients return to previous leisure interest and identify new ones as well as provides coping strategies to adjust to current limitations. Community re-entry opportunities are addressed with community reintegration outings and activities designed to promote a bridge back to the patient’s prior life.
- Pastoral Care – Attends to spiritual and emotional needs of patient and caregivers
- Primary Care Physician – Not only will your physician be kept well-informed of your progress and treatment plan, but he/she will be involved in your continued care
- Case Managers/ Patient Care Coordinator – Our case managers are specially trained to assist patients and families with emotional, financial and discharge decisions
Other support staff includes nutrition specialists, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, neuropsychologist and orthotics as well as all other services provided in a hospital setting. Because we individualize your care, these team members will be different for each patient. Some patients may require services of an audiologist, a respiratory therapist, an orthotist, a prosthetist, a vocational rehab specialist, a rehab engineer, psychologist and other professionals.
Ochsner Inpatient Rehabilitation provides an environment which assists individuals with physical impairment and disabilities resulting from illness or injury to reach maximal functional independence and return into the community.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
- Commission on Accreditation Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) – Elmwood Only
- Stroke Specialty Program - Commission on Accreditation Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) – Elmwood Only
- Magnet Hospital - American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
We accept Medicare, Medicaid and most major insurance plans.
To learn more about Ochsner Inpatient Rehabilitation, please contact us.