Rio Robotic Arm
Successful joint replacement surgery takes more than a brilliant surgeon, a dedicated team and a patient with a can-do attitude. It takes having the most advanced equipment out there. Only one center in Louisiana performs joint replacement surgery with the Rio® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System: Ochsner Medical Center.
At Ochsner, MAKOplasty® Partial Knee Resurfacing and MAKOplasty® Total Hip Replacement are enabled by a surgeon-controlled RIO® robotic arm system. With the Rio, Ochsner surgeons can place the artificial joint in the optimal position with greater accuracy. The right positioning ensures better function and joint longevity. These procedures also call for smaller incisions which means faster healing and less pain.
Learn more about MAKOplasty®
Ask your physician if surgery with the surgeon-controlled Rio Robotic Arm is right for you. Referring patients, call 504-842-3970 for more information.
MAKOplasty® Partial Knee Replacement
About Your Knees
Your knees are responsible for allowing you to walk, run and sit. The knee is made up of three main parts or compartments:
- Medial or inside
- Lateral or outside
- Patellofemoral, which is between the femur and patella (knee cap)
Partial Knee Replacement is a treatment option for adults with osteoarthritis (OA) that has not progressed to all three compartments of the knee. Along with the benefits, highlighted above, the Rio Robotic Arm allows for:
- Preservation of healthy tissue and bone — only diseased portions are removed
- A more natural feeling knee following surgery
- More rapid recovery and a shorter hospital stay compared to traditional total knee resurfacing surgery
MAKOplasty® Total Hip Replacement
MAKOplasty® Total Hip Replacement is an advanced solution for adults suffering from painful degenerative joint disease of the hip who require a total hip replacement.
Along with optimized placement accuracy, benefits of having this surgery with the Rio Robotic Arm include:
- More consistency in leg length, which makes the joint feel more natural, and potentially decreases the need for a shoe lift.
- Decreased risk of impingement and dislocation. This may improve the life expectancy of the hip replacement.
- More rapid recovery and a shorter hospital stay compared to traditional total hip replacement surgery.
Patient referrals, transfers and consults are critically important.
We make it easy for you. To obtain copies of patient records, schedule clinic appointments, and to share your preference for receiving post visit follow-up from your patient's appointment, call the Clinic Concierge, our dedicated physician referral line, at 504-842-7436 or 1-855-312-4190.