Leonard J. Chabert Medical Center began serving our community in 1978. The hospital was created with a dual purpose: First, to provide quality healthcare, and second, to educate the next generation of health professionals. We have been succeeding at both objectives ever since, maintaining full accreditation by The Joint Commission and regularly earning recognition from the Louisiana Health Care Review.
In 2010, the American Cancer Society (ACS) chose our hospital to host an ACS Cancer Resource Center, which provides support for the area’s cancer patients and has been an integral part of treatment ever since. Our clinics are committed to ensuring that relationships exist between each patient and primary provider, stressing wellness improvement and better health outcomes in each relationship.
Most recently, our improvements in patient care inspired the Louisiana Hospital Association Research & Education Foundation to name us Champions for Quality Care.
Our patients and the community have benefited from the contributions of Ochsner Health, who manages Chabert Medical Center under the direction of Terrebonne General Medical Center. Our staff continually strives to increase its knowledge base, taking every opportunity to provide better service. We are proud to offer our award-winning services to the bayou region, and we are honored to support our community in its time of need.
|Our Mission:||We Serve, Heal, Lead, Educate and Innovate.|
|Our Vision:||Ochsner will be a global medical and academic leader who will save and change lives. We will shape the future of healthcare through our integrated health system, fueled by the passion and strength of our diversified team of physicians and employees.|
- 156 licensed beds
- 64 adult/pediatric staffed beds (including ICU)
- 24 psychiatric staffed beds
- 3,953 adult/pediatric admissions
- 836 psychiatric admissions
- 16,726 adult/pediatric inpatient days (including ICU)
- 8,008 psychiatric inpatient days
- 175,442 outpatient encounters
- 40,212 ED encounters
- 96,413 outpatient clinic visits
Physicians and physician extenders are contracted through South Louisiana Medical Associates (SLMA) and LSU for patient care service and medical training. In addition to medical training, LJCMC serves as a clinical training site for nursing and allied health programs in the region.
LJCMC initiated a hospital-based accredited Internal Medicine residency program in 2008 in an effort to replenish the area with primary care physicians. Currently, 24 internal medicine residents are in training. Moreover, collaborative partnerships for residency training programs include LSU and Ochsner. Clinical trials and ongoing research studies provide a valuable resource to enhance staff education and potentially improve patient care options.
LJCMC participates in the evidence-based LSU Disease Management Program, which manages chronic diseases with a wellness model based on preventive care and patient education.
LJCMC is nationally recognized as a Patient Centered Medical Home. The primary care clinics are accredited through the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). A valued feature of the outpatient service is emphasis on patients knowing who their primary provider is with a solid relationship to improve wellness initiatives and health care outcomes.
The hospital continually strives to meet the ever-changing healthcare needs of its diverse patient population and to be a community-based medical center that is value driven and in the forefront of healthcare delivery, education and practice.
- Terrebonne Parish District Attorney Drug Court – LJCMC provides lab testing to clients enrolled in program
- Terrebonne Parish Criminal Justice Complex – LJCMC provides lab testing and results reporting
- Louisiana Primary Care Association and Bayou Teche Community Health Network – integrated network
- Office of Public Health – LJCMC provides education services to OPH’s labor and delivery population, and high-risk prenatal medical services Southeast Louisiana Area Health Education Center – HIV outreach to rural populations and African-Americans
- NO Aids Task Force – HIV referral services
- N’R’ Peace – HIV community services
- Region III Office of Mental Health – behavioral health collaborative services
- Region III Office of Addictive Disorders – substance abuse evaluation and referral services
- Unitech – LJCMC provides training for EKG, Phlebotomy and Pharmacy Technician
Approximately 30 residents and fellows in the following programs:
- Emergency medicine
- Family medicine
- Internal / Emergency medicine
- Physical medicine / Rehabilitation
- Vascular surgery
- Internal medicine
- Orthopedic surgery
Medical Student Programs
- SABA University School of Medicine
- Medical University of the Americas in Nive
Nursing and Allied Health Programs
Approximately 386 students
- Acadian Ambulance Services-EMT Student Program
- Delgado Community College-Medical Laboratory Student Program
- Delgado Community College-Radiology Student Program
- Lafourche Technical College-LPN
- Louisiana State University and A & M College-Physician Assistant Program
- Louisiana State University-Graduate and Undergraduate Medical Education Program
- Louisiana State University-Graduate Rehabilitation Social Work Program
- Louisiana Technical College-Lafourche Campus-EMT Student Program
- Louisiana Technical College-Lafourche Campus-Practical Nursing Students
- Louisiana Technical College-South Louisiana Campus-EMT Student Program
- Louisiana Technical College-South Louisiana Campus for Nursing, Phlebotomy, Surgical Tech Program
- Loyola University-New Orleans-Nurse Practitioner Program
- Nicholls State University-EMT-Respiratory Cardio Student Program
- Nicholls State University-Nursing Student Program
- Nicholls State University-Family and Consumer Services and Counseling Psychology
- Ochsner Clinic Foundation
- Our Lady of the Lake College of Anesthesia
- Southern University of New Orleans Graduate Social Work Program
- Terrebonne Vocational Technical School-Nursing Student Program
- Tulane School Graduate School of Social Work
- University of Louisiana at Layette-Graduate Nursing Students
Clinical Research Programs
- Dillard University- Clinical Research Associate Training Program