Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute: What to Know
How Are Organs Matched?
Ochsner Patient Story: Silvia Harris-Payne
What You Need to Know About Pulmonary Hypertension
Tips for Flying with Kids
Everything You Need to Know About Antibiotics
The Importance of Taking Breaks as a Business Owner
10 Gross Ingredients in Your Favorite Foods
Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs): Treatment and Management
A New Treatment Option for Chronic Pain: Functional Restoration
According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, there are nearly 116,000 people waiting for lifesaving organ transplants in the U.S. The majority of transplant patients in the Gulf South find unparalleled care and shorter wait times at the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute, which was ranked #1 in the Nation in Medical Excellence for Organ Transplants in 2017 by CareChex.
Why Ochsner for an Organ Transplant?
Since its inception in 1984, Ochsner’s team of renowned physicians, surgeons, transplant nurses and support specialists have successfully performed more than 6,000 lifesaving liver, kidney, pancreas, heart and lung transplants in both adult and pediatric patients, and through our living donor program for living liver and living kidney transplants. This makes us the busiest, most experienced transplant center in the Gulf South region.
Ochsner was ranked #1 in the Nation in Medical Excellence for Organ Transplants in 2017 by CareChex.
In recent years, Ochsner has strengthened our position as an international leader by achieving the highest national benchmarks for quality. By recruiting some of the world’s leading transplant surgeons and physicians, pursuing clinical and research excellence and adding programs for even the most rare and complex organ transplants, the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute continues to grow and serve more patients in our region and around the world. To date, we have cared for transplant patients from 37 states and 10 countries.
At Ochsner, it’s all about making sure our patients do better, live longer and experience fewer complications. We combine advanced technology, specialized procedures and a patient-focused approach that leads to successful outcomes. Patients find peace of mind knowing that our transplant success rates and survival rates are greater than the national average.
Shorter Wait Times, Operating Times and Hospital Stays
The Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute has streamlined the care process around the needs of our patients, leading to shorter wait times. A one-day evaluation clinic is offered to help our patients move through the process and get on the waiting list sooner. Along with shorter wait times, Ochsner is known for minimal surgery times, fewer days in critical care and shorter hospital stays.
The Ochsner transplant team functions as an integrated team – and our patients play an integral part in the transplant process.
Ochsner created a Patient-Transplant Team Covenant to help promote trusting relationships and foster the highest standards of care. The Covenant is a series of commitments made by Ochsner patients and caregivers, who pledge to work together with respect, trust and in partnership.
Through the Covenant, Ochsner transplant staff commit to always value patients as people, tell patients the truth with compassion and include patients as active team members. In turn, patients agree to value their caregivers as people, tell the truth with confidence and be active members of the transplant team. The partnerships among patients and the transplant team start with the first visit and continue over many years.
Transplant Center Highlights
- Ranked #1 in the Nation in Medical Excellence and Patient Safety for Organ Transplants in 2017 by CareChex
- Ranked #1 in the Nation in Medical Excellence for Liver Transplants in 2017, and for the previous 4 years, by CareChex
- Ranked #6 in the Nation in Medical Excellence for Heart Transplants in 2017 by Carechex
- Largest Liver Transplant program by volume in the nation for 2012-2016
- Third largest combined Kidney-Pancreas program by volume in the nation in 2015
- Only Lung, Pediatric Heart and Living Liver Transplant programs in Louisiana
- Medicare-approved transplant center for Heart, Liver, Kidney and Lung transplantation
- Center of Excellence designation for most insurers
- Performed the first heart and liver transplants in the state in 1970 and 1975, respectively
Nurturing Patients and Families
Each patient is assigned a transplant coordinator who serves as the main contact person through each stage of treatment – pre, during and after transplant. The patient experience begins with the one-day clinic where the patient sees everyone they need to see on the same day, eliminating the need for multiple visits.
At Ochsner, we nurture patients and their families and support their emotional and social needs. This extra measure of care is especially important for transplant patients because of the complexity of their treatment and the life-long nature of our relationship.
- Register to be an Organ Donor
- 2016 OchsnerOutcomes - Transplant
- 2015 OchsnerOutcomes - Transplant
- 2014 OchsnerOutcomes - Transplant
- Organ Donation in Louisiana
- Organ Donor Registration in Louisiana
- Facts About Organ Donation
- Myths About Organ Donation
- Donate Life America
- Organ Donation Alliance
- "Like" Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute on Facebook
- On-site housing for patients and their families at the Brent House Hotel
- Share your story of care at Ochsner.
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR)