Ochsner's Tobacco Control & Prevention Program, started in early 2012, provides information about the health risks of tobacco use including best practices for cessation, the newest products, and future tobacco issues. The program regularly partners with area schools and community organizations to provide educational materials and support. It also works with various groups during national events like Kick Butts Day and No World Tobacco Day. The Tobacco Control Program attends health fairs, corporate wellness events, and school events to continue reaching out to the community and to promote the Louisiana Quitline and other aids to cessation. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supported the Smoke Free Ordinance for Orleans Parish as part of the coalition
- Participated in the TobaccNO event hosted by former Surgeon General, Dr. Regina Benjamin in February 2014 which was live streamed via social media
- Partners with the Louisiana Tobacco Trust to promote free cessation services to eligible members
- Participated in the 1st annual Alton Ochsner Conference on Tobacco in November 2014
- Participated in the American Public Health Association conference in New Orleans in November 2014
- Assisted the City of Hammond in gaining designation as the World Health Organization's 69th International Safe Community, the first in Louisiana and 16th in the U.S.
- Assisted the Tangipahoa Parish School System in adopting a 100% Tobacco-Free School Policy
- Produced educational programs for children ages 3-18, working with coalitions in DHH Regions 1 (Southshore) and 9 (Northshore) to develop relationships and create interest
- Handed out more than 10,000 educational and Quitline materials to individuals, schools, clinics, and hospitals in Regions 1 and 9
- Educated more than 3,000 adults at health fairs, corporate events, and school events on the dangers of tobacco, Big Tobacco's deceptive marketing strategies, and how to quit
- Presented to over 1,100 school children on tobacco prevention, second-hand smoke, and Big Tobacco practices
Current & Future Projects
The program will assist in the expansion of Ochsner’s Smoking Cessation Clinics to Baton Rouge, Raceland and the West Bank. Please go to www.ochsner.org/stopsmoking to learn more.
All these efforts will support the ultimate goal of seeing an overall trend in Louisiana of reduced tobacco adoption amongst youth and increased cessation among adults. Ochsner will continue to work with the Institute for Wellness and Health Policy to promote health policies that will improve quality of life for the citizens of Louisiana.