Why choose Ochsner Lafayette General for bariatric surgery?
Excess weight affects every aspect of health, including quality of life. In short, it’s holding you back. The bariatric surgery program at Ochsner Lafayette General helps patients create a healthier future for themselves through surgical or medical weight loss. Our multidisciplinary team will create a personalized plan to help you meet your goals.
Whether you’re interested in one of our weight loss surgeries or want to try medical weight loss, we’ll help you find the treatment path that’s right for you. If you have bariatric surgery, our team will help you improve your health before the procedure and offer support as you make important healthy lifestyle changes afterward. We’ll be by your side for every step of your weight loss journey.
- Your team will be led by a fellowship-trained surgeon. All of our surgeons have undergone fellowship training, which includes extensive experience in laparoscopic bariatric surgical procedures and revision surgeries, as well as all other aspects of patient care before and after surgery. A formal fellowship is the highest level of training a surgeon can receive, so you know that you’re in the best of hands. In addition to their medical expertise, our surgeons are caring individuals who have chosen bariatrics because they truly enjoy helping people change their lives for the better.
- You will receive care from a nurse practitioner. Our staff includes a nurse practitioner who is fully devoted to bariatric patients. She is always available in our office to address your needs. This proves very helpful to our patients, as most of the follow-up after surgery is related to issues such as ensuring adequate vitamin levels and changes in various medications as you lose weight.
- A bariatric patient advocate will be here to help you. We provide full-time staff members who devote all of their time to helping you through the insurance and financing process, which can be challenging and frustrating at times.
- You will get comprehensive education from weight loss counselors. Our team includes a program nurse and behavior modification educator. These professionals will provide education and work closely with you during your weight loss surgery journey. We offer both individual and group classes to accommodate each patient’s needs.
- A dietician will help you learn about proper nutrition. Our team of bariatric-trained dieticians specializes in the unique needs of bariatric surgery patients. They provide education to our patients in both private consultations and group sessions before and after surgery.
- Your mental health matters, too. We offer you access to a licensed professional counselor experienced in the treatment of people suffering from obesity. They perform psychological evaluations on all of our patients prior to surgery and are available to help throughout your post-operative journey as well.
- Our support groups are here to help you thrive. Research shows that patients who regularly attend support groups have better success after weight loss surgery. Our monthly support groups are led by a bariatric team member who is accompanied by a variety of other bariatric professionals to bring you discussions on many different topics related to life after surgical weight loss.