OCHSNER STORIES & MORE AT BLOG.OCHSNER.ORG
1 min read time
Knitted Knockers Provide Comfort for Breast Cancer Patients
2 min read time
Why Support Groups for Breast Cancer Patients Can Be Powerful
2 min read time
Susan Landry Patient Story: Healthy in Every Way
Breast reconstruction surgery doesn’t just restore your muscle and tissue. For many, it rebuilds self-confidence and makes you feel like yourself again.
Women and their families who choose Ochsner find comfort in the fact that they are receiving comprehensive care from a world-renown medical and academic system. They find peace of mind knowing that all aspects of their treatment will be uniquely integrated at one location—at the top medical system in the Gulf South—known for superior outcomes.
Ochsner’s team of plastic surgeons coordinate decision-making with dedicated Ochsner breast surgeons, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists to tailor care to your specific treatment plan. We work together with our patients to determine the method of breast reconstruction that is best for you.
Our surgeons provide a spectrum of options for breast reconstruction including:
- Oncoplastic breast reconstruction (reshaping the breast during a lumpectomy)
- Implant-based breast reconstruction
- Autologous breast reconstruction (using your own tissue)
- Hybrid varieties of each
Breast Reconstruction Pioneers
Ochsner is at the forefront of surgical innovation.
Dr. Christopher Babycos specializes in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He has specific interests in implant based breast reconstruction, direct implant reconstruction and tissue expander reconstructor, craniofacial and cosmetic surgery including aesthetic, breast and reconstructive surgeries. He is Board Certified in Surgery and Plastic Surgery.*
Dr. Jamie Zampell who specializes in the spectrum of autologous and implant-based breast reconstruction procedures as well as microsurgical interventions for lymphedema. She is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery and Reconstructive Microsurgery.*
Both Dr. Babycos and Dr. Zampell are members of American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
Dr. Kristopher Katira is a board eligible plastic surgeon who has expertise is in microsurgery.
Dr. Robert Allen is a pioneer of autologous breast reconstruction, including use of abdominal and thigh-based perforator tissue flaps (DIEP, SIEA, SGAP, ICAP). He is a founder for the Center for Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction and the Group for the Advancement of Breast Reconstruction. Dr. Allen is a Board Certified plastic surgeon.
Our plastic surgeons work together with the breast surgery team, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and physical therapists to individualize your treatment plan and care.
All your Ochsner providers are on a shared electronic medical record offering patients comprehensive care with the same team throughout the course of treatment. Our patients work with Nurse Navigators from Tansey Breast Center who are there to coordinate your care and assist in scheduling appointments. Patients find our system easy to navigate.
Ochsner accepts most major insurance plans for breast reconstruction surgery. For a full listing of accepted insurance plans, click here.
* Board certified in plastic surgery
Give us a call at 504-842-3950 to schedule an appointment.
Surgical Breast Reconstruction Program at Ochsner Baptist
4429 Clara St., Suite 330: McFarland Medical Office Building
New Orleans, LA 70115
Tansey Breast Center at Ochsner Medical Center
1319 Jefferson Hwy.
New Orleans, LA 70121
Breast Reconstruction Services
Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction – Oncoplastic breast conservation surgery combines plastic and reconstructive surgery techniques with breast cancer surgery so that the appearance of the breast can be preserved to the greatest extent possible, without compromising local control of disease. It adds an aesthetic approach to lumpectomy by reshaping or rebuilding the breast to maintain a natural look and feel. Along with removing the cancer, it prevents excessive scarring following surgery and radiation.
Autologous Breast Reconstruction – (sometimes called autogenous reconstruction) uses skin, fat, and sometimes muscle from the belly, the back, buttocks, or inner thighs to create the reconstructed breast. The tissue used is called a "flap.” Microsurgical tissue flap options include:
- Deep inferior epigastric perforator flap (DIEP) – The DIEP flap is made from tissue from your tummy.
- Profunda Artery Perforator (PAP) – A PAP flap is made from tissue from your Posterior thigh.
- Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator (SGAP) – Also called a gluteal perforator hip flap, an SGAP flap is made from tissue from your upper buttocks.
- Lateral Thigh Perforator (LTP) – The LTP flap procedure is made from skin and fatty tissue from the patient’s upper, outer thigh and outer buttock.
- Superficial Inferior Epigastric Artery (SIEA) – The SIEA flap, also called a SIEP flap (superficial inferior epigastric perforator) is made from tissue from the lower abdomen.
- Inter-coastal Artery Perforator (ICAP) – The ICAP flap is made from tissue taken from under the arm.
- Multiple Flaps/Stacked Flaps – This procedure combines different flap procedures to form the breast. It is used for patients who do not have enough excess fat tissue in one site.
Implant-based Breast Reconstruction
- Two-stage tissue expander-implant reconstruction
- Direct-to-implant reconstruction
Hybrid Options: Latissimus Flap +/- Implant – The latissimus flap is made from tissue from the muscle located below the shoulder and behind the armpit.
Fat Grafting – Fat tissue is removed from areas such as your thighs, belly and buttocks by liposuction. It is then processed into liquid and injected into the breast area to recreate the breast.
Nipple Reconstruction – Nipple and areola reconstruction is an outpatient procedure done after the newly created breast has had time to heal. Tissue comes from the new breast or from another part of the body. Tattooing may be done a few months after the surgery to match the color of the nipple and areola of the other breast. Since our skilled plastic surgeons can make a flat tattoo look 3-dimensional, some women opt for the tattoo only.
Cosmetic Breast Procedures
- Breast reduction
- Breast lift/Mastopexy
- Breast augmentation
- Tummy tuck/Abdominoplasty
- Panniculectomy (removes hanging skin and fat from abdomen)
- Body lift
- Brachioplasty (arm lift)
- Thighplasty (thigh lift)
- Face lift
- Neck lift
- Brow lift
- Blepharoplasty (for droopy eyelids)
Otoplasty (ear pinning)