3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Soup Recipe
Stomach Viruses: How Soon Can You Go to Work?
Comprehensive Headache Center at Ochsner North Shore
The Comprehensive Headache Center at Ochsner North Shore features a team of physicians committed to providing the highest quality of care to patients with headaches as well as neck and facial pain.
Located in Covington, the Headache Center provides care to numerous types of headache conditions, including but not limited to tension-type headache, cluster headache, migraine with and without auras, hemiplegic migraines, chronic daily headache syndrome and secondary headaches. Evaluation begins with a detailed history and neurologic examination. Further workup may also include specialized imaging and lab work.
Why Ochsner North Shore for Headache Care?
Our mission is to foster a model that is founded on ‘personalized medicine,’ as we believe this is the most effective approach to patients suffering from headache and facial pain. In our management, we strongly emphasize education and self-care strategies.
All of our providers are fellowship trained in headache and facial pain treatment and are the only providers in the North Shore region that are focused solely on these conditions. Our Center offers a wide variety of treatment options including pharmaceutical, non-pharmaceuticals and procedural interventions.
Our team provides interdisciplinary comprehensive care by collaborating with providers in other specialties such as: Ophthalmology, Sleep Medicine, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Pediatric Neurology and Psychiatry and Psychology.
To schedule a same-day appointment, call 985-875-2828
For after-hours calls, contact Ochsner On Call, your 24/7 care line, at 1-800-231-5257
For Referring Physicians
To refer a patient to the Headache Center, call the Clinic Concierge at 1-855-312-4190
- The Clinic Concierge assists with getting copies of patient records and scheduling clinic appointments
- The Clinic Concierge team can also capture your preference for receiving post visit follow-up from the patient's appointment
Or call the Headache Center directly at 985-875-2828
The specialists at the Headache Center offer diagnostic, pharmacological, non pharmacological, procedural, psychological and advocacy services. New developments are rapidly incorporated into the center’s treatment model.
- We offer therapies like BOTOX® therapy, pheripheral nerve blocks, ganglion blocks, trigger point injections and neuromodulation.
- We offer counseling regarding lifestyle modifications to identify and avoid common triggers.
- Biofeedback is offered to select patients and is proven to improve pain control. It is especially useful in adolescents and patients with limited medication options like pregnancy or medical comorbidities.
- We recently launched the innovative Fast Track Headache Program to provide a safe and effective alternative to the Emergency Room for the management of acute migraine headaches at our infusion center.
- Clinical Research: Participation in cutting edge clinical research trials is also available
- The neurology department, in collaboration with Ochsner’s office of research, conducts several investigator initiated and national clinical trials. Our headache specialists are actively engaged in research and present their work at national and international scientific meetings.
- The Headache Center uses advanced diagnostic tests and procedures to assess patients, including:
- Brain and cervical spine imaging (MRI, MRA, MRV, CT, CTA)
- Cerebral angiograms
- Lumbar puncture
- Funduscopic exam
- Visual field testing
- Sleep testing
Fast Track Program: Acute Headache Infusion Room
Are you apprehensive about going to the ER to get relief from a severe migraine headache? This program may help you!
At our infusion center, we carry a wide range of fast-acting medications and therapies. Our goal is to get you the right medications and therapies quickly in a stress-free environment.
How does this work?
- Our infusion center hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you experience a migraine headache that does not respond to any rescue medications OR if you are unable to take medications due to dizziness, nausea or vomiting, call us at 504-842-8090.
- Our phone staff will discuss your symptoms and determine if you would benefit from this program. If you do, we will schedule your appointment between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and have a treatment program waiting for you.
- St. Tammany Parish Hospital Infusion Center
- 1203 South Tyler Street, Covington, LA 70433
- Located on the first floor of the Charles A. Frederick Jr. Medical Office Complex
If you experience a sudden severe headache which is different from your usual headache(s) OR if you have a sudden onset of a headache which reaches maximum severity within 30 seconds, please proceed to the nearest Emergency Room immediately, as this may be a life threatening headache.
Director: María-Carmen Wilson, MD