Ochsner Therapy & Wellness Back Care
The Ochsner Therapy & Wellness Back Care Program is a comprehensive treatment approach for individuals with sub-acute - chronic neck or back pain. Treatment focuses on active recovery, restoring spinal motion and strength, and ultimately getting people back to the activities they enjoy. While receiving care, patients work with an integrated healthcare team including a Physician, Physical Therapists, and Health and Wellness Coaches. Patients also engage in an active physical therapy program focused on pain reduction and return to function, then transition to a Wellness Program for general strength maintenance.
What you should expect:
- A comprehensive examination with our Physical Medicine and Rehab Physician, Dr. Christine Keating, to determine if you are a good candidate for this treatment approach
- A thorough evaluation with one of our skilled Physical Therapists to identify musculoskeletal impairments and movement dysfunctions
- Isometric testing of the cervical and/or lumbar extensor muscles by the Physical Therapist using medical machines that isolate the targeted muscle groups. These results will provide a baseline measure of your back or neck strength, help determine an appropriate starting exercise weight, and allow for objective measurement of your progress as you go through treatment.
- An active, evidenced-based, research-driven Physical Therapy program focused on neck and/or back pain reduction, targeted strengthening of the spinal and surrounding musculature, and education to promote understanding, prevention, and management of your pain.
- Regular meetings with a Health Coach who will assist you with achieving your health and fitness goals
- Enrollment into a wellness program after successful completion of Physical Therapy. Here you will work with a team of Wellness Coaches to help you maintain the strength and functional movement gains you’ve achieved with Physical Therapy.
7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday & 7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Fridays
*Mid-day lunch hour physical therapy appointments available.
While the Ochsner Therapy & Wellness Back Care program is appropriate for patients with all major insurances, it is also offered to Ochsner-insured employees and their family members as a benefit with no out-of-pocket responsibility.
Scientifically Proven Technology
Through progressive resistance strengthening and the principles of adaptive overload, patients suffering from chronic back and neck pain experience improved muscle strength, disk health, increased connective tissue thickness, endurance, mobility, and function over the duration of their treatment. And, as musculoskeletal function improves, symptoms diminish and their psychological outlook improves.
Over the last 25 years, the University of Florida, the University of California at San Diego, and medical institutions around the world have published compelling research showing that specific spinal strengthening using the FDA-registered PHB Lumbar and Cervical Extension machines improves patient outcomes even after multiple failed attempts at other forms of treatment. With more than 75 published articles in peer-reviewed journals, the proof lies in both the research and patient testimonials.
How to Enroll: Call 504-894-2002 to schedule an initial appointment with Dr. Keating who will complete a thorough examination to determine if you may benefit from this treatment approach.