Rehabilitation: Adults & Physical Therapy
Vestibular System and Proprioception: The Two Unknown Senses
First Appointment With A New Doctor: What To Bring
What's Causing Your Back Pain?
The Top 5 Most Addictive Foods
Don't Let a Concussion Rain on Your Mardi Gras Parade
4 Ways Business Owners Can Stay Healthy While Hustling
Can Cold Weather Make Health Conditions Worse?
Does Decluttering Give You Joy? These 5 People Don’t Think So.
6 Things to Know When Your Child is Diagnosed with CHD
Ochsner Healthy Back Program
The Ochsner Healthy Back Program is a comprehensive treatment approach for individuals with sub-acute - chronic neck or back pain. Treatment focuses on active recovery, restoring spinal motion and strength, and ultimately getting people back to the activities they enjoy. While receiving care, patients work with an integrated healthcare team including a Physician, Physical Therapists, and Health and Wellness Coaches. Patients also engage in an active physical therapy program focused on pain reduction and return to function, then transition to a Wellness Program for general strength maintenance.
What you should expect:
- A thorough evaluation with one of our skilled Physical Therapists to identify musculoskeletal impairments and movement dysfunctions
- Strength testing of the cervical and/or lumbar extensor muscles using medical machines that isolate the targeted muscle groups. These results will provide a baseline measure of your back or neck strength, help determine an appropriate starting exercise weight, and allow for objective measurement of your progress as you go through treatment. Please note that neck pain treatment is only offered in the New Orleans region at this time.
- An active, evidenced-based, research-driven Physical Therapy program focused on neck and/or back pain reduction, targeted strengthening of the spinal and surrounding musculature, and education to promote understanding, prevention, and management of your pain.
- Regular meetings with a Health Coach who will assist you with achieving your health and fitness goals
- Enrollment into a wellness program after successful completion of Physical Therapy. Here you will work with a team of Wellness Coaches to help you maintain the strength and functional movement gains you’ve achieved with Physical Therapy.
Scientifically Proven Technology
Through progressive resistance strengthening and the principles of adaptive overload, patients suffering from chronic back and neck pain experience improved muscle strength, disc health, increased connective tissue thickness, endurance, mobility, and function over the duration of their treatment. As musculoskeletal function improves, symptoms diminish and their psychological outlook improves.
Over the last 25 years, the University of Florida, the University of California at San Diego, and medical institutions around the world have published compelling research showing that specific spinal strengthening using the FDA-registered PHB Lumbar and Cervical Extension machines improves patient outcomes even after multiple failed attempts at other forms of treatment. With more than 75 published articles in peer-reviewed journals, the proof lies in both the research and patient testimonials.
How to Enroll
Give us a call at 504-842-4348 (New Orleans) or at 225-754-5188 (Baton Rouge) to schedule an initial appointment with our Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Physician or Physical Therapists who will complete a thorough examination to determine if you may benefit from this treatment approach.
Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
*Hours may vary by clinic location
*Mid-day lunch hour physical therapy appointments available
Ochsner Health Center - Baptist Napoleon Medical Plaza
2700 Napoleon Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70115
Ochsner - Belle Meade
605 Lapalco Blvd., Ste. A
Gretna, LA 70056
Ochsner Medical Complex - High Grove
10310 The Grove Blvd.
Baton Rouge, LA 70836
Ochsner Therapy & Wellness - O’Neal
2077 O’Neal Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Ochsner Therapy & Wellness - Covington
1000 Ochsner Blvd.
Covington, LA 70433
The Ochsner Healthy Back Program is offered to Ochsner-insured employees and their family members as a once per lifetime benefit with no out-of-pocket responsibility - specifically, those currently carrying the Ochsner Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Benefit insurance OCHPLUS1 and OCHPLUS2.
The Ochsner Healthy Back Program is available to patients with all major insurances.