Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy
Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy works with doctors, nurses and insurance companies to help patients get the medicines they need for difficult or ongoing (chronic) conditions.
- We are the largest health system specialty pharmacy in our region.
- Unlike your neighborhood pharmacy, we stock medications that can be difficult to find.
- In addition, we help patients get financial assistance to help pay for these drugs, which can sometimes get expensive.
At Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy, we take some of the stress and fear out of taking medication. We’re here to answer your questions, such as:
- How and when should I take my medicine?
- Will my medicine affect other drugs I’m taking?
- What, if any, side effects should I be watching for?
Getting a prescription filled is only the first step to getting well. We’re here to give you the information and support you need to follow your doctor’s orders and stay on track.
Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy will serve the patient as first priority and act with compassion, integrity, excellence and teamwork to improve our patients’ outcomes.
Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy provides an innovative and integrated approach to care for patients. We will shape the future of healthcare by customizing patient services with comprehensive resources in collaboration with the healthcare team to provide an exceptional patient experience
Each Patient Has a Story
Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy is here to offer support for our patients. Our goal is answer your questions before they even come up. Here, you can get to know some of our patients and learn how we were able to help them on their journey.
Your drugs. Your insurance. Your life.
At Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy, we come to work everyday with one mission: Giving you the peace of mind that comes with getting the medication you need as well as information you need to take it properly.
Our Patient Care Advocates (PCA) will review your insurance benefits and work with your doctor’s office to find the best and least expensive drug for your condition.
Our goal is to help you live your best possible life while dealing with complex or chronic health problems.
Patients, view online privacy information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need a Specialty Pharmacy?
- These complex and costly drugs usually need special storage and handling and are usually not available at your local drug store. Sometimes these drugs have side effects that need to be watched by a trained pharmacist.
Can I fill all my prescriptions at Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy?
- Yes, there is no need to use another drug store. We can handle all your drug needs in one pharmacy making your life a little easier. Having all your drugs in one place also lets our pharmacist make sure your specialty drug doesn’t interfere with your routine drugs.
How can I contact Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy?
- Call us toll free at 1-855-312-4193
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the pharmacy’s hours?
- The pharmacy is open Monday through Friday from 8am to 6pm, except Wednesday’s from 9:15 am to 6pm. There is a pharmacist available for your drug related questions after business hours, weekends and holidays.
How do I refill my medications?
- You may ask for a refill by calling us at 1-855-312-4193. Our pharmacy team will be calling you about 7 days before your drug is due so you may never need to call us.
How much will my drugs cost?
- Your copay amount will vary based on your insurance plan. We will tell you this amount before we send your drugs.
What if I can’t afford my drugs?
- Some patients are eligible for assistance through drug companies or charities. Our team will review the options available to you and help you get enrolled if you qualify.
Can I still get my specialty medication if I don’t have insurance?
- Some drug companies offer free drug programs. If that is available, we will help you enroll in the program.
Does Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy have all specialty drugs?
- Our pharmacy has access to most specialty drugs. If we do not have access, we will transfer your prescription and your information to a pharmacy that can fill the medicine.
Will you ever substitute my drug with another?
- There are times when it is necessary to substitute a generic drug for a brand name drug. This could be a requirement of your insurance company and it will reduce your cost. If a substitution needs to be made, a member of the team will call you before shipping to inform you of the change.
Will the Specialty Pharmacy ever call me?
- We will call you when we first get your prescriptions or when your provider contacts us.We will call you when your first prescription is shipped and also before all refills.
- If there are any problems in filling your drugs, we will call you to let you know what is happening and sometimes to get more information.
When should I contact the pharmacy?
- You can call us anytime you have a question about your drugs.
- You should call us if any of your information changes-your address, phone number or insurance.
- Call us if you suspect an error in shipping or dispensing has occurred.
- Call us if you think your medicine has been recalled by the FDA.
- No question or concern is too small. Our team is happy to help you with your needs including helping you get access to your drugs during an emergency or disaster, working with another pharmacy to provide your drugs or getting you more information about your drugs.
What should I do if I have a bad reaction to the drugs?
- If your reaction is serious or life-threatening, go to an emergency room or call 911 and seek immediate attention.
- Always call and tell the pharmacist if you have any problems. We will keep your provider informed.
Can I return my drugs?
- No, Louisiana law does not allow us to take back medications. Please call us and we can help you dispose of drugs you cannot use.
How do I dispose of unused medications?
- Call the pharmacy or check your welcome packet for the Information sheet “how to safely dispose of my medications”. A good website for information is: www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm101653.htm
Using Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy is an option. If you would like to use another specialty pharmacy, let us know and we will transfer your prescription.
Click on the links below for more information.
- Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Growth Hormones
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Patient’s Rights and Responsibilities
Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy greatly values each and every patient and would like to ensure the best possible pharmacy experience. Your healthcare team will work together to take care of your treatment and medication needs. You are an important member of your healthcare team and to receive the most benefit from your medications, it is important that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities as a patient and are aware of your disease and medical conditions.
Prescribers: Our focus is your patients.
Our commitment to care is reflected in our willingness to go the extra mile on behalf of your patients. We are here to help your patients learn to manage their complex or chronic conditions, and live the best life they can.
As part of Ochsner Health System, Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy can facilitate communications using the patient EMR in Epic to make patient compliance and adherence information easily available to your team.
We understand that quality patient care requires a team of doctors, nurses and specialists working together. Your call to our pharmacy goes straight to a pharmacist. We communicate regularly, offering updates on treatment, side effects and more. We maximize patient benefits, outcomes and quality of life while minimizing patient stress and cost.
Partner with us today. Send us a prescription and let us show you how working with us can benefit both your patient and your office staff.
Provider Phone Number: 1-855-312-4193
Thank you for sending this prescription to Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy.
Please use the referral forms below and return the completed form via fax to 504-842-5999.
By completing this information, this will aid Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy in having all required information needed to improve the turn around time to the patient.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday 9:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closed holidays and weekends. Pharmacist available 24/7 if needed via phone.
Location: Prescriptions are filled at Ochsner Specialty Pharmacy: 1405 Jefferson Hwy., Ste. A, New Orleans, LA 70121