Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute – Baton Rouge
Innovating Healthcare for Baton Rouge Athletes
Wherever you play your heart out – on the court, the field, the track, the gym, the golf course or in the pool – the Ochsner Sports Medicine team in Baton Rouge is there for you. We’re all about achieving victory over injury.
Ochsner offers specialized care for athletes at all levels of competition, from professional athletes to student-athletes and weekend warriors of all ages. And, because Ochsner Sports Medicine is part of the leading health care system in the Gulf South, our patient athletes benefit from a diverse, multidisciplinary team with great passion and a depth of experience unmatched in the area. Every specialist you could possibly need is right here, weighing in on a recovery plan designed specific to your injury, your sport, your activity level, and your goals.
In Sports, or Sports Injuries, Equipment Matters.
As an athlete, you know the advantages of having the best equipment. The diagnostic technology at Ochsner is cutting edge and it’s all under one roof. When it's time for a test, you go down the hall, not across town – and often it can happen on the same day as your doctor’s appointment. We offer:
Musculoskeletal Cutting Edge High Resolution MRIs– for greater resolution clarity and more accurate diagnosis than regular MRIs.
Musculoskeletal Ultrasounds – a safe, non-invasive method for diagnosing injuries in real time.
Ultrasound-guided injections – accurate injections at the intended site allows higher precision and better accuracy than traditional injections.
Our rehab facility is state-of-the-art as well. We’re equipped with running analysis equipment for analyzing your stride, an underwater treadmill for aqua therapy, and workout areas with non-abrasive artificial turf, which reduces shock to the joints.
Meet The Team
Ochsner is home to fellowship-trained, board-certified physicians who are pros in sports medicine. You’ll be treated in a leading-edge facility by a strong, multi-disciplinary team of orthopedic surgeons, non-operative sports medicine physicians, advanced practice providers, nurses, athletic trainers, physical therapists, strength and conditioning coaches, and sports nutritionists. We also have a mental performance coach to help our patients deal with the psychological aspects of a sports injury. Our game plan combines expertise with compassion.
- Jeremy Burnham, MD – Medical Director of Sports Medicine Program
- Kasey Hill, MD
- Jeffrey Burnham, MD
- Christopher Bankhead, MD
- Sean Bradley, MD
- Lawrence Haber, MD
- Jerrica Watson, PA-C
- Warren Fitzmorris, MS
- Corey Elvir, Supervisor of Athletic Training – Baton Rouge, The Dunham School
- Tiffany Beauchamp, Athletic Training Lead – Baton Rouge, West Feliciana High School
- Abbie Heath, Athletic Trainer, Tara High School and Broadmoor High School
- Breana Hyder, Athletic Trainer, Lee High School and Baton Rouge High School
- Elaine Odum, Athletic Trainer, Scotlandville High School and Glen Oaks High School
- J’Micah Wilson, Athletic Trainer, Mckinley High School and Belaire High School
- Kacey Calabro, Athletic Trainer, Catholic High School – Point Coupee
- Sharnice Byrd, Athletic Trainer, Parkview Baptist
- Shelby Ledet, Clinic Navigator and Athletic Trainer
- Spencer Perreault, Athletic Trainer, PRN
- Tiffani Frizzell, Athletic Trainer, Brusly High School
- Tiffany Gary, Athletic Trainer, Baton Rouge Community College
- Tyler Guillot, Athletic Trainer, Istrouma High School and Northeast High School
If you’ve been told to hang up your running shoes, your racket or your golf clubs, we encourage you to come in for second opinion. We’re here to help you return to your favorite sport or exercise, instead of telling you not to do it.
Same-day Appointments Are Available.
To make an appointment, go to my.ochsner.org or call 225-761-5200. Our sports-trained clinic navigator will make sure you see the person you need to see and help expedite your appointment. We accept all major insurances.
We provide advanced treatment options for all sports and fitness-related injuries to the knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, ankle, wrist and more. Conditions we treat include:
- Achilles tendon injury
- Achilles tendonitis
- Ankle sprains
- Ankle fractures
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Articular cartilage repair
- Baseball injuries
- Clavicle fracture (broken shoulder)
- Common sports injuries
- Uncommon sports injuries
- Elbow injuries
- Hamstring pull
- Hamstring tear
- Hamstring strain
- Hip Impingement
- Hip labral tears
- Hip flexor strain
- Knee and kneecap dislocations
- Knee pain and ligament injuries
- Knee cartilage injuries
- Iliotibial (IT) band friction syndrome
- Meniscus tears
- Overuse injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Running injuries
- Shin splints
- Shoulder tendonitis (rotator cuff problems)
- Shoulder bursitis
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Stress fracture
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Torn rotator cuff
Programs and Services
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Orthopedics
- Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- On-site Imaging Services
- Physical Therapy
- Athletic Training
- Ochsner Performance Training - one-on-one and group options
- Concussion Management Program
- ACL Care
- Sports Nutrition
- Orthobiologics and regenerative medicine, including Stem Cell Injection Therapies and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections. Learn more about Orthobiologics at Ochsner.
At Ochsner, we’re always looking for new and better ways to get our athletes back in the game. Ochsner is currently part of a multi-center randomized control trial studying the best way to treat patients with ACL injuries. The latest and greatest treatment options are right here.
Knee Injury Medical Trial
Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute - Baton Rouge is one of 25 top North American health systems chosen by the U.S. Department of Defense for a comprehensive medical trial designed to improve treatment for multiple-ligament knee injuries. The $4 million Surgical Timing and Rehabilitation, or STaR, medical trial will benefit the U.S. military, as well as athletes and people from all walks of life who suffer multiple-ligament knee injuries.
Sponsored by the University of Pittsburg, The STaR Trial Network comprises 25 premier military and academic medical centers, and more than 50 of the top knee surgeons across the U.S. and Canada to determine the most beneficial treatment method. Referring physicians and potential candidates for the STaR trial can learn more by calling (225) 761-5895 or by clicking here.