This video outlines the STAR mission and curriculum. It also include important application information and tips. Please take the time to watch this video before starting your application.
STAR 2019 Application now closed. Please check back in January for information about the 2020 program.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old by the start of the program, June 3rd 2019.
- Open to students advancing into 12th grade (graduating seniors are not eligible).
- There is no minimum grade point average (GPA) or ACT/SAT score.
- Students must be residents of and attend high school in the State of Louisiana.
Program Information and Requirements
- Louisiana residents will be given priority selection for the STAR Program.
- Applicants must have at least one reliable form of transportation already in place.
- Accepted students and at least 1 parent/guardian are required to be present during Acceptance Day and Meet & Greet. Students are required to attend the Culmination Ceremony, and parent attendance is encouraged.
- Accepted students are allowed only two days of absence throughout the program.
- Accepted students will be required to submit an up-to-date immunization record, complete a tuberculosis questionnaire, and pass a drug screening.
Application Submission Instructions
The three constituents of the STAR Application include:
(1) Online Student Form
- General Student Information
Please be prepared to provide the following: general demographic information, current school details, parent/guardian information, future college and career plans
- Short Answer
Applicant will be asked to respond to the following prompts:
- In 150 words or less, tell the STAR Acceptance Committee something that makes you unique. Below is your opportunity to share beyond what is already highlighted in your STAR Application. For example, your answer can highlight a special hobby, interest, talent, or passion.
- Why would you like to participate in the STAR Program, and how will your participation in STAR move you towards your future goals?
- Essay (300-350 words)
- Resume (to be attached)
(2) Official School Transcript Submission
School transcripts are only official when sent by a school counselor from a school email address. Complete the “Official Transcript Request” through the online application. You will need to provide the name and email of the appropriate school official/counselor. This will generate an email with a link to the school.
(3) Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must have two recommenders. Each recommender must fill out an online recommendation form and attach a recommendation letter. Recommenders cannot be related to the applicant. Complete the “Recommender Request” through the online application. You will need to provide his/her name and email. This will generate an email with a link for your recommender.
School Teachers and Counselors
To schedule a member of the STAR Administration to come to your school and discuss the STAR Program with your students, please contact the Education Outreach office at 504-842-1286 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, May 1st