Patients with Insurance
Ochsner will file primary insurance claims in all cases for patients with insurance, meaning:
- Ochsner sends the claim directly to your insurance company
- Each insurance company has its own benefits plan and requirements
- It is vital for you to understand exactly what your healthcare insurance policies provide, including whether the company has a contract with Ochsner
- You can obtain an estimate for a specific service. It is your responsibility to consult with your primary insurance company to determine whether Ochsner's bill will be covered in whole or in part or what portion of the bill will be your personal financial responsibility. You may contact our Patient Financial Service Department for information on service estimates at 504-703-2773 or 855-241-9351.
Patients with Secondary or Supplemental Insurance
- You must provide the Registration Desk with copies of both sides of your secondary insurance cards
- Ochsner will send a claim form to your secondary or supplemental insurance company
More About Secondary Insurance
Coverage by secondary payors is generally based on what is owed after the primary insurance company has paid.
Contracted Fee Schedule
If Ochsner has a contract with the primary insurance company, Ochsner agrees to accept the contracted fee schedule. Under this agreement, your out-of-pocket costs normally will be less. You will be responsible for any copayments, coinsurance and deductible amounts as determined by your insurance company. The insurance company pays its portion of the total amount to Ochsner.
Insurance Payments Sent Directly to Patients
Insurance payments sent directly to you, whether from primary or secondary insurance companies, should be used to pay outstanding charges to Ochsner. Patients are financially responsible for all outstanding charges.