Audiology: Ochsner Medical Center - Jefferson Highway
Give us a call at504-842-4080
to schedule an appointment at Ochsner Medical Center
Give us a call at504-842-4565
for the Hearing Aid department
Give us a call at225-761-5200
to schedule an appointment at Ochsner Health Center - Summa
Give us a call at504-314-4420
to schedule an appointment at Ochsner Baptist
Give us a call at504-443-9500
to schedule an appointment at Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
The Audiology Department at Ochsner Medical Center - Jefferson Highway is a state-of-the-art facility specializing in the evaluation, diagnosis ,treatment, and management of hearing disorders in adults, infants, and children of all ages. Our department also specializes in hearing aids, cochlear implants, baha devices, and dizziness/balance complaints. We have seven full-time staff audiologists with over 100 years of combined experience. We work very closely with ENT physicians and use a team approach to manage hearing loss and improve hearing healthcare.
Hearing loss is the third most prevalent chronic condition in older adults and affects millions of people. For babies, approximately 3 in every 1,000 babies are born with permanent hearing loss, making it one of the most common medical problems in the United States.
You might have hearing loss if you:
- Require frequent repetition
- Think other people sound muffled or they are mumbling
- Have trouble hearing children and women
- Have your TV tuned up to a high volume
- Answer or respond inappropriately in conversations
- Feel stressed from straining to hear what others are saying
- Feel annoyed at other people because you can’t hear or understand
- Feel embarrassed or nervous about trying to understand
- Withdraw from social situations that you once enjoyed
If hearing loss goes unmanaged, other complications can occur, including: depression, anxiety, isolation, frustration, isolation, academic issues, and embarrassment. For these reasons, it is important to know some of the warning signs of hearing loss and know how to manage it. At Ochsner, we offer both medical and non medical solutions to hearing problems. We educate and empower patients about their hearing loss and provide management options to fit their lifestyle.
The impact of untreated hearing loss:
- Irritability, negativism, anger
- Fatigue, tension, stress, depression
- Avoidance or withdrawal from social situations
- Social rejection and loneliness
- Reduced alertness and increased risk of personal safety
- Impaired memory and ability to learn new tasks
- Reduced job performance and earning power
- Diminished psychological and overall health
Linda A. shares her experience after having her hearing restored with Cochlear Implants.
Rick D. shares how increasing his hearing with Cochlear Implants helped create lasting memories.
Micheal S. shares his journey to receiving bi-lateral Cochlear Implants.
Noah and Luke are brothers who both have received Cochlear Implants.
Are You a Candidate for a Hearing Aid?
Warning signs of hearing loss, ask yourself:
- Do you frequently ask people to repeat?
- Do you have difficulty hearing the TV of telephone?
- Do family and friends complain the TV is too loud?
- Do you complain that family and friends mumble?
- Does my child startle to loud sounds?
- Does my child respond when I call their name?
- Does my child follow simple commands?
- Does my child use speech and language like other children their age?