Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
More than 4 million adults in the United States have had a diagnosis of epilepsy or seizure disorder.
The official definition of epilepsy is “a disorder of the brain that causes seizures.” But epilepsy patients know that there’s so much more to living with this neurological condition, and that it can often be unpredictable and frightening. Seizures come in various shapes and sizes — some are quiet staring spells, while others can cause a person to collapse, shake and become unaware of what’s going on around them.
Epilepsy Monitoring Unit: Ochsner is the only institution in Louisiana that operates a dedicated epilepsy monitoring unit where patients with complex seizure disorders and other repetitive neurological events can be diagnosed and managed.
Ochsner’s Epilepsy Program aims to provide the most modern and innovative medical and surgical care for patients with epilepsy and seizure disorders. We also understand that for many patients, their seizure disorder is far from simple, which is why each patient undergoes a thorough evaluation in the clinic and a comprehensive diagnostic work up including outpatient and inpatient video-EEG monitoring, sophisticated brain imaging, cardiac and psychological testing. Our team collaborates with other medical disciplines to manage other medical conditions related to seizure disorder and medications.
Why Ochsner for Epilepsy Treatment?
- Highly Trained Specialists
- The epilepsy team comprises of five adult and one pediatric board certified and experienced Epileptologists, a highly experienced adult and pediatric functional neurosurgeon, three neuropsychologists, one certified physician assistant, three board certified neuroradiaologists, a certified (in EEG and long term monitoring) neurodiagnostic lab manager and an epilepsy nurse coordinator.
- This team is committed to providing the most modern and innovative medical and surgical care for the treatment of epilepsy
- Accreditation and Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
- The epilepsy program at Ochsner is accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) and has received the highest designation for a comprehensive epilepsy program as evident by our level 4 status.
- Ochsner is the only institution in Louisiana that operates a dedicated epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU) where patients with complex seizure disorders and other repetitive neurological events can be diagnosed and managed.
- The EMU at Ochsner has six dedicated adult beds with capacity to expand services to other telemetry beds for adult and pediatric patients.
- International Recognition
- Our center is internationally recognized and has Dr. R. Eugene Ramsay, a pioneer in the field of epilepsy, and with an impressive background. He is recognized nationally and internationally for his innovation and passion for advancing research and growth in epilepsy. Our outcomes have been published in national and international meetings and leading epilepsy journals.
Special Programs and Services
Ochsner offers leading treatments like epilepsy surgery and epilepsy-related diagnostics.
- Adult and pediatric epilepsy surgery evaluations
- We offer surgical evaluation and planning with various testing modalities including: brain positron emission tomography (PET), epilepsy protocol brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), Wada testing, neuro-psychological testing, phase II motoring incorporating intracranial recording, functional mapping and seizure localization. We host weekly surgical case conferences during which patients and their family members are involved in the decision making.
- Neuro-Intensive Care Unit
- Patients are cared for by expert neuro-intensivists who work in collaboration with our epileptologists to provide dedicated care to patients with status epilepticus. We offer several advanced therapeutic options and clinical trials to these critically ill patients. The Neuro-ICU is one of the largest and busiest program in the country with 45 beds.
- First seizure clinic
- Ochsner provides an expedited access to patients experiencing their first seizure or seizure like event that requires a thorough evaluation.
- Epilepsy during pregnancy
- Our team collaborates with obstetricians and understands that the needs of patients with epilepsy are different during pregnancy. Our epileptologists are trained in pharmacological management of epilepsy during pregnancy and post partum period.
- Our program collaborates with a national pregnancy database for patients with epilepsy to monitor outcomes in babies. http://www.aedpregnancyregistry.org
- Educational programs
- Our team is committed to education and training through various programs
- The Ochsner neurology department hosts an ACGME accredited adult neurology residency program
- Ochsner neurology department is a training site for residents of internal medicine, neurosurgery and neurology from Ochsner, Tulane and Louisiana State University residency programs
- We train medical students from University of Queensland/Ochsner clinical school, Tulane and Louisiana State University
- We host an international physician observership program for physicians interested in learning more about advanced epilepsy care
- In partnership with Our Lady of Holy Cross College we host a training program for neurodiagnostic technologists
Ochsner neurosciences institute hosts a dedicated research division which collaborates with Ochsner’s office of research to conducts several investigator initiated and national clinical trials. Our epileptologists are actively engaged in research and present their work at several national and international scientific meetings. Learn more about Clinical Research at Ochsner.
- Seizure disorders in adults, children, pregnancy, geriatric
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Non epileptic events