Ochsner interventional radiology offers minimally invasive, image-guided treatment of medical conditions that once required open surgery.
Why Choose Ochsner for Interventional Radiology?
At Ochsner Health, our nurses and technologists are put through rigorous training and are highly specialized in interventional radiology. We have several clinics and offer general anesthesia if needed. All of our interventionalists are certified by the American Board of Radiology.
What is Interventional Radiology?
Interventional radiology is a sub-specialty of radiology using minimally invasive image-guided procedures to diagnose and treat diseases in nearly every organ system. Interventional radiology diagnoses and treats patients using the least invasive techniques currently available to minimize risk to the patient and improve health outcomes. These procedures have less risk, less pain and less recovery time in comparison to open surgery.
This process includes imaging such as fluoroscopy (real-time x-ray viewing), ultrasound and computer tomography (CT).
- Increased effectiveness: Our imaging technology gives radiologists high visibility throughout the procedure which increases the accuracy of the diagnosis and improves patient outcomes.
- Reduced risks: Interventional radiology offers less blood loss and a lower risk for infection and other common complications that come with open surgery. Patients who are at higher risk from anesthesia benefit as only local anesthesia and/or moderate sedation is used. Damage to surrounding health body parts is reduced, since the guidance is so precise.
- Quicker recovery time: Interventional radiology procedures are minimally invasive which means they require little recovery time. Patients can return to daily life quicker than they otherwise would following traditional surgery.
We use a holistic approach for recovery. We bundle interventions to eliminate pain which includes essential oils, aromatherapy, heat and cold positioning.
The Angio/Interventional Radiology Section performs all vascular and non-vascular diagnostic and interventional procedures. All of our physicians are continually on the forefront of research and development of angiography and interventional procedures.
Our clinic is ranked top 3 in the country for radioembolization. Radioembolization is a therapy used to treat primary and metastatic liver tumors.
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Tumor ablations
- Percutaneous biopsy
- Nerve root blocks
- Facet and SI joint injections
- Epidural steroid injections
- Venous access
- IVC filters placement and removals
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)