The Lafayette Behavioral Health Unit was established through a partnership with the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals and Lafayette General Medical Center. This partnership secures quality care and access to services for uninsured individuals in need of psychiatric care. Our skilled psychiatric and mental health professionals are trained and committed to assist patients in their self-discovery, learning and recovery process.
Why choose Lafayette Behavioral Health?
Lafayette Behavioral Health Unit is a 24-bed secure psychiatric facility that provides short-term hospitalization and treatment for individuals coping with a mental health disorder. Patients admitted to Lafayette Behavioral Health Unit require a safe, secure and structured environment and an increased level of observation to stabilize their psychiatric symptoms.
Our team consists of psychiatrists, general practitioners, nurses, social workers, a recreation therapist, dietitians, mental health technicians and other disciplines as determined by needs of the patient. The goals of treatment are to assess and stabilize, offer patient and family education and plan community re-integration into the treatment process. Therapeutic programming focuses on making the patient an active participant in their treatment and discharge planning.
Our services include:
- Psychiatric evaluation and examination
- Laboratory and diagnostic testing
- Biopsychosocial evaluation
- Crisis intervention and stabilization of patient’s psychiatric symptoms
- Psychopharmacologic evaluation and management
- Activity therapy and patient education interventions
- Case management and collaboration with the patient’s outpatient clinician, physicians, family and community agencies to facilitate a complete discharge plan.
Criteria for admission:
- 18 years of age or older
- High risk of harm to self or others
- Sudden onset or worsening of ongoing psychiatric symptoms including depression, anxiety, mania, psychosis or stress responses requiring assessment and treatment in a secure environment.
- Medically cleared for admission
Nurses station: 337-289-8595
Patient phone: 337-289-8694
Visitors must bring an ID and be 12 years or older. Only two visitors are allowed at a time.
Visitors will not be allowed to bring in cell phones, purses, lighters or any item considered contraband. All visitors are subject to search. Visitors must have the patient's four-digit identification number, which can only be provided to you by the patient. Visitors must read and sign a confidentiality statement before visiting. In order for our patients to receive the maximum benefit during their stay with us, we ask that visitors adhere to these visitation policies and restrictions.
Our visiting hours are:
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 6 to 7 p.m.
Patient phone call times:
7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Noon -1 p.m.
5 - 9:30 p.m.