When you provide the name, address and policy number of your insurance company when you register, Ochsner will file your primary insurance claim for you. We suggest you track the following for services rendered: charges, co-pays, deductible, co-insurance, insurance payments, Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and your Ochsner statement. By organizing this information, it will be helpful if you need to discuss your statement.
In the weeks following your visit to Ochsner, the billing process occurs as follows:
- Ochsner will submit claims to your primary insurance company.
- You should receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance company four to six weeks after the first claim is filed. The EOB will indicate services billed, amount paid and payee.
- If you do not hear from your insurance company within four to six weeks of your visit, you should follow up with them.
- If payment is mailed to Ochsner, the payment may be reflected on your next monthly statement. Statements are mailed monthly to you.
- Additional charges and payments to your original statement will appear on your monthly statement as they are posted to your account.
- You should retain your statements to help you track charges, payments, adjustments and your balance.