3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Soup Recipe
Stomach Viruses: How Soon Can You Go to Work?
Family Birthing Center - Baptist
All the women’s healthcare you need, all in one place and personalized amenities at the Women’s Pavilion, located at Ochsner Baptist.
We’re making it easier for you to connect to the expert care you need. At the Women's Pavilion, you’ll be able to have obstetric visits, have a baby, or even see a high risk maternal fetal medicine physician.
Obstetrics at Ochsner
Choose Ochsner Baptist for the birth of your baby. Ochsner Baptist features advanced technology in obstetrics and baby care in a comfortable, caring, and peaceful environment.
- Spacious, contemporary Labor/Delivery/Recovery suites offer everything you need to welcome your baby into the world
- Free and convenient covered parking
- A larger and more comfortable waiting room featuring a children’s area for families awaiting a new member
- Alternative birthing care at the Perkin Alternative Birthing Center, which is accredited by The Commission for the Accreditation of Birth Centers. Learn more.
- Most comprehensive specialty coverage under one roof in the region
- Educational childbirth classes offered for expectant parents. Click here for class schedules. The classes cover such topics as the labor and delivery experience; vaginal delivery versus Cesarean Section delivery; Epidurals; postpartum care; car seat safety; newborn care; sibling classes for siblings; and breastfeeding. Classes are taught by our maternity nurses and our breastfeeding class is led by certified lactation consultants.
- Let Ochsner Baptist provide you with the information and care you need as you prepare for the joy of bringing a new life into the world. Learn the A’s to Z’s of your pregnancy. Click here to download the A to Z Guide to Pregnancy.
- High-Risk Maternity Specialists
Perkin Alternative Birthing Center (ABC)
- The Perkin Alternative Birthing Center features a staff of Certified Nurse Midwives who provide mothers with a natural, holistic birth experience in a homelike environment. For more information, please call 504-894-2880.
- Located in the Ochsner Baptist Women’s Pavilion, making it the only hospital-based alternative birthing center in the region.
- Midwives offer comprehensive prenatal care in the Perkin ABC clinic, where they help mothers design individual birthing plans, including water birth, labor support and alternative birth positions.
- Two birthing rooms, each set up like home with a comfortable double bed and a family room and shared kitchen for guests to relax and visit during labor and delivery.
- Each room in the ABC offers a birthing tub, birth stools and a yoga swing.
- Pampering for new moms with special amenities on-site including day spa services with massages, manicures and pedicures.
- Room service available for Mom and Dad.
- Accommodations include a comfortable place for new dads to sleep.
- Stock up and shop for items new parents will need when they bring home their new bundle of joy at the O Baby Gift Shop.
- Highest Level Neonatal Intensive Care - Ochsner Baptist Women’s Pavilion offers the highest level (Level III) Regional NICU, staffed by our experienced team of board certified neonatologists. 54 NICU beds available, including Private NICU Rooms.
- Nicview Webcams available free of charge at every NICU bay for parents who can’t be with their babies every minute, but will have access to keep an eye on their babies from a computer or smartphone day or night. Click here to find out more.
- Ochsner offers a comprehensive range of pediatric services to care for your new baby from birth all the way through adolescence. Ochsner Pediatrics specializes in comprehensive care for the whole child — from preventive care such as immunizations to life-saving efforts. Expecting parents can schedule a free prospective parent appointment with one of our Ochsner pediatricians to meet our physicians and staff and select a doctor that complements your growing family. To schedule, call 504-842-3900. Click here to find out more.
Baby-friendly hospitals and birth centers uphold the International Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes by offering education and educational materials that promote human milk rather than other infant food and drinks, and by refusing to accept or distribute free or subsidized supplies of breast milk substitutes, nipples, and other feeding devices. Ochsner encourages breastfeeding and follows these “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding”
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
- Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy.
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
- Give infants no food or drink other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
- Practice rooming-in (allow mothers and infants to remain together) 24 hours a day.
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- Give no artificial nipples or pacifiers to breastfeeding infants.
- Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.