Prenatal Classes/Childbirth Education
Preparing you for the most important moment of your life
At Ochsner a variety of prenatal classes are available.
These classes cover topics such as:
- the labor and delivery experience
- vaginal delivery versus Cesarean Section delivery
- postpartum care
- car seat safety
- newborn care
- sibling classes for siblings
Classes are taught by our maternity nurses and our breastfeeding class is led by certified lactation consultants. We also have Lamaze classes that are taught by a certified Lamaze instructor.
Let Ochsner provide you with the information and care you need as you prepare for the joy of bringing a new life into the world. Learn the A’s to Z’s of your pregnancy. Click here to download the A to Z Guide to Pregnancy.
Locations Where Childbirth Classes are Offered
Click on the location name below for additional details about the classes, including dates, times, schedules and registration information.
Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion in Uptown New Orleans
Can't fit classes into your busy schedule? Contact Jeni Ducoing, RNC-OB at the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion at firstname.lastname@example.org about online class options.
For more information on the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion, click here.
Ochsner Medical Center - West Bank
To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 504-391-5529.
For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner West Bank, click here.
Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge
2017 Childbirth Class
- Jan 14
- Feb 11
- March 11
- April 8
- May 13
- June 10
- July 8
- August 12
- Sept 9
- Oct 14
- Nov 11
- Dec 9
Classes are from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. Please feel free to bring snacks and drinks. The cafe is open during this time for snacks and lunch.
Topics covered include:
- Pregnancy, Pain Theories, Pre-Labor Signs, Labor Signs, Comfort Measures, Labor Positions
- Interventions, Pain Medications, Vaginal and Cesarean Birth
- Postpartum/Newborn Procedures and Appearance
- Basic breast-feeding
All classes will be held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge, located at 17000 Medical Center Dr. (O’Neal Lane at I-12).
- Classes are free of charge
- To register, call 225-755-4854.
Breastfeeding Basics Class Dates
- Jan 9, 6pm-9pm
- March 18, 9am-noon
- May 8, 6pm-9pm
- July 15, 9am-noon
- Sept 18, 6pm-9pm
- Nov 18, 9am-noon
Breastfeeding Basics Class Details
- Learn from our experienced Lactation Department the essential information you need to know!
- Classes include topics such as getting baby latched on, how often to nurse, how to tell if baby is getting enough milk, and how to use a breast pump.
- Your $35 fee covers registration, materials and refreshments for you and a partner.
- All classes will be held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge, located at 17000 Medical Center Drive
- Call 225-755-4854 to pre-register.
Breastfeeding Support Group Dates
- Jan 15
- Feb 19
- March 19
- Apr 9
- May 21
- June 11
- July 16
- Aug 20
- Sept 17
- Oct 15
- Nov 19
- Dec 17
Breastfeeding Support Group Details
- Join other moms just like you who are breastfeeding their little ones. Share stories and tips on what works and what doesn't with moms who are living the experience. The mother organized Breastfeeding Support group meeting are held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge from 2pm-4pm.
- Support group meetings are free and no registration is required.
More Information & Tours
- For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner Baton Rouge, click here.
- To schedule a tour, call 225-236-5893.
Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
- Kenner 2017 Childbirth Class Schedule
- OB Pre-admit PDF registration form for Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
- OB Pre-admit PDF registration form for Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner (Spanish)
To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 504-464-8365.
For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner Kenner, click here.
Ochsner St. Anne General Hospital
- To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 985-537-8279.
Childbirth & Parenting Class Schedule
Classes include: Childbirth/Lamaze, Grandparenting 101, CPR/Infant Safety, Sibling, Bayou Moms Support Group and Breastfeeding
For more information on Labor and Delivery services at Ochsner St. Anne, click here.
Online Prenatal and Childbirth Classes
Can't fit classes into your busy schedule?
Contact Jeni Ducoing, RNC-OB at the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion at email@example.com about online class options.
New Parent Classes at Babies "R" Us in Metairie
Ochsner Health System now offers new parent classes at Babies R Us in Metairie to help you and your family prepare for your new baby.
- Sign up by registering online at www.babiesrus.com/classes.
Babies R Us
6851 Veterans Blvd.
Metairie, LA 70003
Class Offerings and Dates:
Join us as a certified lactation consultant offers professional advice and practical tips to prepare you for a successful breastfeeding experience. Learn as much as you can and get a great start nursing your baby.
2017 Dates: January 5, February 2, March 2, April 6, May 4, June 1, July 13, August 3, September 7, October 5, November 2, December 5
Baby Basics is a guide to the first 6 weeks of care for newborns. We will discuss baby’s senses, understanding of what baby is trying to tell you, crying and comforting, feeding, diapering, washing, sleeping, health and safety. Discussion will follow.
2017 Dates: January 12, February 9, March 9, April 20, May 11, June 8, July 26, August 10, September 14, October 12, November 9, December 6
Friends and family infant CPR is a video driven class that goes over hands-on demonstration and practice of CPR and choking from birth to 1 year of age. This is not a certification.
Cost: $15 per person, 2 people for $25
2017 Dates: January 19 & 26, February 9 (7pm & 8pm), March 16 & 30, April 27, May 18 & 25, June 15 & 29, July 27, August 17, September 21 & 28, October 19, November 16 & 30, December 14 & 28
Time: 6pm and 7:15pm