7 Things to Do Before You Get Pregnant
Are Your Baby’s Spit-Ups Concerning?
How to Deal with Back Pain During Pregnancy
Ochsner Patient Story: Compassionate Care at Kenner
First Pregnancy? 7 Questions to Ask Your OB/GYN
Donor Breast Milk Benefits Preemies
A Stage 1 Diagnosis Abroad - Tod Thedy's Story
3 Ways to Not Waste Your 2018 Health Insurance
What is a Virtual Visit?
There’s Been a Salmonella Outbreak. Now What?
8 Ways to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Creamy Cauliflower Garlic Soup Recipe
Preparing you for the most important moment of your life
At Ochsner a variety of prenatal classes are available.
These classes cover topics such as:
- the labor and delivery experience
- vaginal delivery versus Cesarean Section delivery
- postpartum care
- car seat safety
- newborn care
- sibling classes for siblings
Classes are taught by our maternity nurses and our breastfeeding class is led by certified lactation consultants. We also have Lamaze classes that are taught by a certified Lamaze instructor.
Let Ochsner provide you with the information and care you need as you prepare for the joy of bringing a new life into the world. Learn the A’s to Z’s of your pregnancy. Click here to download the A to Z Guide to Pregnancy.
Locations Where Childbirth Classes are Offered
Click on the location name below for additional details about the classes, including dates, times, schedules and registration information.
Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion in Uptown New Orleans
Can't fit classes into your busy schedule? Contact Jeni Ducoing, RNC-OB at the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion at email@example.com about online class options.
For more information on the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion, click here.
Ochsner Medical Center - West Bank
To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 504-391-5529.
For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner West Bank, click here.
Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge
2018 Childbirth Class
- January 13
- February 10
- March 10
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- July 14
- August 12
- September 8
- October 13
- November 10
- December 8
Classes are from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. Please feel free to bring snacks and drinks. The cafe is open during this time for snacks and lunch.
Topics covered include:
- Pregnancy, Pain Theories, Pre-Labor Signs, Labor Signs, Comfort Measures, Labor Positions
- Interventions, Pain Medications, Vaginal and Cesarean Birth
- Postpartum/Newborn Procedures and Appearance
- Basic breast-feeding
All classes will be held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge, located at 17000 Medical Center Dr. (O’Neal Lane at I-12).
- Classes are free of charge
- To register, call 225-755-4854.
2018 Breastfeeding Basics Class Dates
- January 8, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- March 17, 9 am - noon
- May 7, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- July 14, 9 am - noon
- September 10, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- November 17, 9 am - noon
Breastfeeding Basics Class Details
- Learn from our experienced Lactation Department the essential information you need to know!
- Classes include topics such as getting baby latched on, how often to nurse, how to tell if baby is getting enough milk, and how to use a breast pump.
- These classes are free of charge.
- All classes will be held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge, located at 17000 Medical Center Drive
- Call 225-755-4854 to pre-register.
2018 Breastfeeding Support Group Dates
- January 21
- February 18
- March 18
- April 15
- May 20
- June 10
- July 15
- August 19
- September 16
- October 21
- November 18
- December 16
Breastfeeding Support Group Details
- Join other moms just like you who are breastfeeding their little ones. Share stories and tips on what works and what doesn't with moms who are living the experience. The mother organized Breastfeeding Support group meeting are held in the first floor classroom of Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge from 2pm-4pm.
- Support group meetings are free and no registration is required.
More Information & Tours
- For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner Baton Rouge, click here.
- To schedule a tour, call 225-236-5893.
Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
- Kenner 2018 Childbirth Class Schedule
- Call 504-464-8365 to sign up
- OB Pre-admit PDF registration form for Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner
- OB Pre-admit PDF registration form for Ochsner Medical Center - Kenner (Spanish)
To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 504-464-8365.
For more information on the Family Birthing Center at Ochsner Kenner, click here.
Ochsner St. Anne General Hospital
- To schedule a Labor and Delivery unit tour, call 985-537-8279.
Childbirth & Parenting Class Schedule
Classes include: Childbirth/Lamaze, Grandparenting 101, CPR/Infant Safety, Sibling, Bayou Moms Support Group and Breastfeeding
For more information on Labor and Delivery services at Ochsner St. Anne, click here.
Online Prenatal and Childbirth Classes
Can't fit classes into your busy schedule?
Contact Jeni Ducoing, RNC-OB at the Ochsner Baptist Women's Pavilion at firstname.lastname@example.org about online class options.