To donate milk, please call 504-703-6455 and be able to provide the following information: name, address, phone number, email address, and your baby's age. Please note these additional steps:
- 15-minute phone interview
- Complete and return an information packet
- Blood screening (the cost is covered by the MMBL)
- Information is reviewed by our Director for approval
For information on volunteering at the Mothers’ Milk Bank of Louisiana, contact Shelley Thibeau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We change and save lives every day. Your support makes it possible. If you would like to donate to the Mothers’ Milk Bank of Louisiana, contact Lauren Phipps at email@example.com.
Mothers’ Milk Bank of Louisiana at Ochsner Baptist
Saving Lives with Human Milk
As a leader in neonatal care, obstetrics, and maternal fetal medicine, Ochsner understands the critical importance of human milk for infant growth and development that cannot be duplicated by formula. Mother’s milk is especially crucial to vulnerable premature babies and significantly decreases the odds of life-threatening complications and infections. Despite their best efforts, sometimes mothers of preterm infants are unable to provide their own milk. Pasteurized donated human milk is the next best option.
The Mothers' Milk Bank of Louisiana at Ochsner Baptist will collect, process and provide donor human milk to premature and sick babies who need human milk to thrive. We have been accredited by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA) as the first milk bank in the state of Louisiana. We are the 24th non-profit milk bank to be established in the United States.
How to Donate Milk
The Mothers' Milk Bank of Louisiana at Ochsner Baptist is now open and ready to serve the smallest Louisiana residents. We have a milk collection depot right here at Ochsner Baptist, where approved donors can bring their frozen breast milk. We also have depots in Lafayette, Lake Charles, and Baton Rouge, and hope to add many more across the state. Because of our generous milk donors, we will be able to provide safe donor milk to Louisiana hospitals for their tiny babies.
Donor Mom Screening
Mothers who would like to donate should contact us by filling out the form on this page. Our process involves a health screening and blood testing to ensure any donated milk is safe for tiny babies.
We would like to thank the following supporters for assisting with the planning and development of the Mothers’ Milk Bank of Louisiana:
|Friends in the Community||Ochsner Physicians and Employees||Goldring Family Foundation|
- Once screening is complete, donors will receive an ID number and will be able to conveniently drop off milk donations at one of our depots
- Drive through drop off is available from 7:30am to 3:00pm, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) with the valet on the 2nd floor of the Jena garage at Ochsner Baptist
- Outside of valet drop off hours, the Ochsner Baptist NICU unit front desk will accept drop offs. They are located on the 5th floor of the Clara Building are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- All milk needs to be clearly labeled with the dates pumped and donor’s name and identification number.
- Frozen milk containers grouped into grocery bags should have an identification card in the bag. We have identification cards available at the depot or you can print at home using this file: Donor Identification Cards.
- For questions related to the depot, please call the milk bank at 504-703-6455.
Shelley Thibeau, Director, 504-842-2101
Brandy Blanchard, Milk Technician, 504-897-5826
We have diverse team consisting of: Neonatologists, Pediatricians, Obstetricians, Lactation consultants, NICU nurses and Community Members.
Our medical director is Dr. Harley Ginsberg.
Milk Bank Director is Shelley Thibeau, PhD, RNC-NIC.
Milk Bank Milk Technician is Brandy Blanchard, NDTR.
Birth Center of Baton Rouge
7941 Picardy Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Donations accepted: Mon. and Fri. 8am-3pm
Phone : 225-761-1200
Lafayette General Medical Center
1214 Coolidge Blvd.
Lafayette, LA 70503
Donations accepted: Mon. - Fri. 8am-4pm
Valet pick up is available. Call to arrange for valet pickup: Darlene LeBlanc, RN, IBCLC, RLC: 337-289-7785