Why Choose Ochsner Genetics Clinic?
At the Ochsner Genetics Clinic, board-certified medical geneticists and genetic counselors work together with families and patients of all ages to provide comprehensive evaluations, testing and ongoing care to individuals with or suspected to have a genetic condition.
As part of an evaluation in the clinic, a thorough medical and family history will be taken, a physical examination will be performed, and laboratory studies and genetic testing may be ordered. A typical genetics visit takes about 1 hour and includes an initial consultation with a genetic counselor followed by an evaluation by a medical geneticist. We also have telemedicine capabilities.
You may benefit from a genetic evaluation if:
- You or your child have a known genetic condition
- You or your child are suspected of having a genetic condition or a physician recommends seeing a geneticist
- There is a family history of a genetic condition
- You have cancer or a family history of cancer
- You are interested in preconception genetic counseling or genetic counseling during pregnancy
- You have had genetic testing in the past and have questions about the results
How to prepare for you or your child’s genetics appointment:
- Send any genetic testing records or relevant clinical notes to clinic prior to appointment or please bring them with you
- Be prepared to provide medical history and family history information if available.