Why have a transplant at the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute?
- Ochsner is recognized as #1 in the nation for liver transplants by CareChex.
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have shorter wait times than the national median.
- Ochsner liver transplant patients have better survival rates than the national rates.
- Ochsner is a Medicare-approved liver transplant program.
- Ochsner is a Center of Excellence for many insurers.
- Ochsner remains one of the nation’s most active liver transplant programs, performing 196 liver transplants in 2014.
- Ochsner surgeons have performed more than 2,000 adult and pediatric liver transplants, making Ochsner by far the most experienced liver transplant center in Louisiana.
- Our hepatologists are leading the nation with cutting-edge clinical research, including treatment of viral hepatitis that allows many patients to avoid transplantation altogether.
- Our surgeons are experienced in split liver transplants, reduced-size liver transplants and living-related liver transplantation in adults and children.
- Short wait times for transplantation
- Reduced transplant surgery times
- Shorter hospital stays
- Onsite Brent House Hotel and other nearby lodging
- Multi-disciplinary team approach to care that includes physicians, advance practice providers, nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, social workers, financial coordinators and other healthcare providers
After transplantation, Ochsner closely monitors all patients. We take pride in creating an environment that supports the needs of our patients and their families.
The Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute provides consistent follow-up information to all referring physicians regarding each patient they direct to our care. Follow-up information is communicated in writing as well as by phone after a patient's transplant.
All patients are eventually returned to the care of their referring/primary care physicians, with periodic follow-up visits to Ochsner. The transplant team continues to monitor for transplant-related complications and regulates maintenance immunosuppression.
For Referring Physicians
To refer a patient for transplant, call our 24-hour Referral Hotline: 1-800-643-1635 or email referrals to: LiverTransplant@Ochsner.org.