Anesthesiology at Ochsner offers patient-centered, state-of-the-art medical care in an environment that fosters commitment to safety, quality improvements and best practices.
Anesthesia provides relief and protection from pain and anxiety during your surgical procedure and is administered according to individualized need. If you have general anesthesia, you will also be rendered unaware (asleep). For most instances of regional anesthesia (e.g. spinal or epidural) or nerve blocks and local anesthesia, you will receive sedation that allows you to relax and drift off to sleep.
- Pre-operative assessment
- General, regional and monitored anesthesia care
- Acute pain
- Critical care
HistoryOchsner’s Anesthesiology Department offers consultations concerning the comprehensive management of all anesthetic care for surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. It also provides both pre-operative and post-operative care, including pain therapy. The department’s Pain Clinic is committed to the proper management of both acute and chronic pain for inpatient and outpatient clients. Consultative services available through the department include:
- Pre-operative medical evaluation
- Administration of anesthesia in all sub-specialties
- Management of both acute and chronic pain
- Ochsner’s Anesthesiology Department handles more than 22,600 cases each year
- The Anesthesiology Residency Training Program at Ochsner has been continuously accredited by ACGME since 1953
- Ochsner is among one of the only hospitals in the area that has regional anesthesia fellowship-trained anesthesiologists