Resources for Patients & Families
Cancer Patient Help Line: Ochsner Cancer Center has a direct phone number (504-842-3910) for patients to contact the oncology team for urgent symptoms and health issues, 24 hours a day.
Chemotherapy and Treatment Resources
- Chemotherapy Education Resource
- Chemotherapy Care Companion Program: Chemotherapy Care Companion is a new program that is being offered to Ochsner’s early phase clinical trial research patients and high-risk chemotherapy patients. The program is used to monitor patients who are undergoing chemotherapy and to observe the differences in obtained baseline information prior to chemotherapy treatment to determine issues related to or exacerbated by receiving chemotherapy.
- O Bar: The O Bar, the first retail experience of its kind, offers the latest in cutting-edge, interactive health technology to help patients seamlessly manage their health and wellness.
- Urgent Care for Our Cancer Patients
- Support Groups and Classes: Ochsner offers a wide range of free support services for cancer patients including the following. Click here for more information on each class and to sign up.
- Cancer Support Groups that offer physician, oncology social worker and dietician speakers that address an array of topics, followed by an open group discussion
- Chemotherapy Class: The Ochsner Cancer Institute offers a free Chemotherapy Class for patients who will be receiving chemotherapy as part of their treatment plan. The class is available online or in person.
- Meditation course open to all cancer survivors
- Nutrition for cancer survivors course to help maintain good nutrition during and after treatment
- Yoga classes to help relax your mind and center your thoughts
- Financial Resource Center
- Patient Financial Resources: Ochsner Health is committed to caring for our patients’ health and well-being, including their financial needs. We want all patients to know about the tools and resources that are available to answer questions about care costs.
- Nutrition and Meal Planning:
- Breast Cancer Patient Guide: Developed by the team at the Tansey Breast Center, this guide helps breast cancer patients stay organized and informed about their care.
- Diarrhea and Constipation Patient Instructions: This guide for patients provides recommendations if you experience constipation or diarrhea.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines for Patients®
- Oncology Patient Evacuation Guide: This guide helps you organize your medical information and plan your next steps while out of town.
- Patient and Family Caregiver Guide: This guide helps patients and their family caregivers navigate through the Ochsner system and contains information on cancer services, programs and support at Ochsner.
- Patient's may stay at Ochsner's Brent House Hotel, a full-service hotel with guest rooms and suites adjacent to Ochsner Medical Center.
- Patients and a caregiver may also stay at the American Cancer Society’s Patrick F. Taylor Hope Lodge.
- Learn more about patient housing.
Ochsner Cancer Services
- Living the Team Approach: As a patient at Ochsner, you benefit from a truly collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment.
- Acupuncture: For cancer patients and survivors, clinical studies have shown acupuncture can reduce cancer-related pain, nausea, post-chemotherapy fatigue and hot flashes as well as help improve overall sleep quality.
- Cancer Infusion Locations
- Integrative Oncology: Our services, when combined with traditional therapy, treat the whole patient – not just the cancer. Based on scientific evidence, our complementary therapies can help restore your overall health and well-being, during or after treatment.
- Urgent Care for Our Cancer Patients
- Preparing for Your Oncology Visit: We share some steps you can take prior to your appointment to help prepare for your time with us.
- Advance Care Planning
Special Treatment Offerings
- HiFu at Ochsner for Prostate Cancer
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery: Whenever possible, Ochsner thoracic surgeons employ minimally invasive surgical techniques. For our patients, this translates into shorter hospital stays and a quicker recovery time.
- Radiation Oncology: Offering the most advanced radiation treatment procedures and equipment in the Gulf South, with customized treatments for each patient.
- Robotic Surgery: This cutting edge, minimally invasive treatment option is available for certain patients with prostate cancer, kidney cancer, urology conditions and gynecology conditions.
- Cancer Surgery: Ochsner offers procedures not available elsewhere in the community by a team of talented surgical oncologists who treat the whole person, not just the disease.
- All in Against Cancer Podcast: Join Dr. Jonathan Mizrahi as we talk to healthcare experts each episode about what you need to know should you or a loved one receive a cancer diagnosis.
- Elly App: Elly is an empathetic audio companion for patients with cancer and includes daily summaries and sessions on a variety of topics. Click here for the brochure.